Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Virus on my computer? [Solved]

Virus Malware Spyware

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I'll try and do that soon or tonight. It may be difficult to do so though. Now it acts up right as soon as I turn my computer on or shortly after. I don't understand what it is either.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If it starts acting up as soon as you switch on then we may be looking at a system problem... I will be thinking on that this afternoon

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
That is absolutely possible. One of my tech teacher type figures looked at it and he's seeming to think something hid itself in webroot. So we took out the hard drive and ran a scan on the hard drive. Last time we took it out and put it back in we had about a night before it started acting up. So he thinks webroot was still passively there but when webroot updated at night, it triggered whatever it is. Which explains why I had that day or so when it was fine and I told you that. So he's keeping my computer tonight and then he's hoping we'll have time before it spazzes to uninstall webroot. If not he said we could wipe her and do process of elimination to figure out what it is. That's assuming it's a virus. If it's a system thing I'm just not sure. What do you think about that? Hopefully you don't mind a little collaboration here

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I must admit that webroot would not be my protection of choice. But, there is a possibility that it is the root cause especially if it is conflicting with another driver.

There are remnant of the low level drivers for the following:

Trend Micro Inc
Panda Security, S.L
AVG Technologies
AVAST Software
COMODO

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Not mine at all either XD I'm switching after this is done for sure. What do you recommend? And would that cause this? It's certainly possible. At this point I'm wondering if it's worth it to just start from scratch and wipe her.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Wiping would be the fastest and simplest solution. Do you have an image, recovery partition or windows cd?

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I've got the windows cd. So I'm all set with that it need be. I just got everything back on so that will be a pain. I wish I could figure out what's causing it so I know for the new one. If I do that I'll let you know. I may have to

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
As you have the CD there will be no antivirus with it, if you wish I can link to a few free programmes which are just as effective as the paid for versions

If the same problem occurs then we will be looking at a hardware problem, however, I feel it is a software conflict/error somewhere within the system

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Sure that would be great! My friend may be giving me his extra subscription to Kaspersky as well. I hear that's one of the better ones? And ya that might have to be it. I'm thinking I could install it new, see if the problem persists, and then begin slowly installing programs that way I can see if they cause it to act up. That way I can do process of elimination. That could just take a while that's the thing

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
We could test for conflicts by using clean boot, however, that would take a while and need some dedicated time on your part

Advertisements

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Ok I'll let you know. I won't have it for the weekend so I'll check back in the you on Monday. That's something we can do if need be. Thanks!

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
No problem :)

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Well I didn't get a chance to work on my computer more. Someone suggested to take a look at if there is an internet button and the key is just stuck. That would explain why it happened on the old hard drive and only opened to the homepage of the browser. I'm not sure if my computer has one but it would be awesome if the fix was that easy.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts

What make and model is the laptop

navyblue161

navyblue161

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
I have an HP pavilion. Do you need the model number?