Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Second monitor not working

• Please log in to reply

dvd7e

dvd7e

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Hi I have a Revolve 810 EliteBook and I'm trying to get a second monitor hooked up to it. The only video output from the Revolve is HDMI, and it came with a cord that is HDMI to DVI. My monitor only takes VGA input though, so I got a DVI to VGA adaptor....but it still doesn't work. I did the 'ole right-click then Screen Resolution and tried to Detect monitors and extend my display (I've done that a thousand time on other computers/monitors) but it fails to recognize the monitor. I hooked up the monitor to another computer with a straight VGA-VGA and it works, so I know the monitor works OK.

Any idea on how to get the 2nd monitor working?

Thanks!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Gday.

I thin< you need a HDMI to VGA, but this type, (passive) may not work if the notebook HDMI port does not have enough power output, > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16812400359

Or this type, (powered) >http://www.dx.com/p/hdmi-to-vga-video-converter-71816#.VEXFXCKUc_0 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

the reason why it doesn't work is because hdmi is a digital signal and vga is an analogue signal.

so you need to buy a cable adaptor that will convert the digital signal output into an analogue signal as shown in above post and links.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 20 October 2014 - 11:01 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Gday.

It has been a while since we heard from you, an update would be appreciated.   Have you resolved your problem?   Do he need any more help?

dvd7e

dvd7e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I haven't resolved the problem yet, but I don't think there's anything else that others could help with. I just need to decide whether I want to spend the money to try one of those solutions out.

I appreciate the help though.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,763 posts

Thank you for the update.   If an adaptor does solve the issue, please let us know as this could help others with a similar problem.

You are very welcome.  :thumbsup:

Good luck. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

as mentioned earlier your not going to be able to resolve the problem without buying a signal converter (or a monitor with digital inputs.) just because there really isn't a problem and it's simply just a case of an analogue signal and a digital signal not being compatible with each other.

so an analogue receiver (vga monitor) can't decode the digital signals (hdmi output from laptop.) into a picture to display and vice versa.

vga connection is always an analogue signal.

hdmi connection is always a digital signal

dvi connection is a bit confusing because it can be both an analogue signal and/or a digital signal depending on type/spec.

dvi-d is digital signal only

dvi-a is analogue signal only

dvi-i can be both/either analogue and/or digital

then you also have single or dual link digital dvi connections which i won't go into.

let us know how you get on tho and what you finally decide on.

just for testing purposes if your tv has a hdmi connection you can always connect the laptop to it so you can see dual monitors will work. i actually use my own tv as my second monitor for my pc setup.

:popcorn: