Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer "freezes" using external display.

External monitor crashes freezes

• Please log in to reply

brisingr

brisingr

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
This issue has me stumped.  

I'm currently using linux mint (have used various distros for years and this problem has only cropped up recently despite reinstalling OS)  on my laptop but I always have it closed and connected to an external display.  It is connected via VGA.

Randomly the screen disconnects. If I'm listening to music or a video it still plays but I cant see anything (display just shows "no signal")  Also hitting space bar or clicking or doing anything doesn't seem to have any result.  I cant manage to pause playing music or video.  Basically the computer is on and playing but unresponsive and the screen is not connected.  When this happens I just have to do a hard reboot.  Its also completely random from what I can tell.  I thought it was do to an issue with external screen resolution I was having but I did a fresh install of the OS and it still happens.  Then I thought It might be a heating issue... but I got a temp monitor and the temp is fine.  Also when its a temp issue it usually foes all the way off.  

Weirdly I can make it happen almost at command by going to the google chrome download page.  Also its happened a few times right as I click youtube videos.   Sometimes the computer works for several hours without an issue. 

Very frustrating.  

Edit. I took the monitor out of the equation and unplugged the vga. The laptop screen does the same thing. Seems like I can reproduce error when trying to play YouTube videos it's clearly some hardware issue.

Edited by brisingr, 21 October 2014 - 06:12 PM.

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sounds to me like a problem a mate of mine had which was caused by pepper flash, when i uninstalled everything to do with pepper flash and installed adobe flash player for him the problem went away and everything worked as it should again.

by the way if it is anything like my mates problem everything isn't unresponsive, with suse distro if i Ctrl+F2 when he had the problem it would take me to the 2nd desktop and from there i could then do things but like you say on the original desktop nothing seemed to work and a reboot seemed like the only way out of it.

:popcorn:

if that is the cause of your freeze problems like i believe and your using chrome and want to stick with that and not use adobe flash player then this work around should fix your problem.

To all of you guys having trouble with flash in Google chrome is this.

1) You need to download chrome version 36 and extract it.

2) Copy the libpepflashplayer.so from the pepperflash folder from chrome 36.

3) Now as root go to( Your installed Version of Chrome 37 )   /opt/google/chrome/PepperFlash and replace the player with the one from 36.

4)  Now your done no more crashes.

@Debian_64
Thank you! That did the trick!

@Andy Broad
You can get the old chrome from here:

http://mirror.pcbeta...-chrome-stable/

chose one of these, depending on if you have 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.

google-chrome-stable_36.0.1985.143-1_amd64.deb
google-chrome-stable_36.0.1985.143-1_i386.deb

info from here :- https://productforum...ome/Bw9KHZ0Oq2M

Edited by terry1966, 23 October 2014 - 01:59 AM.

brisingr

brisingr

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

I reinstalled the OS fresh because I had been screwing with so many settings trying to find a solution.  This time I avoided chrome and I havnt had a crash.  I guess firefox doesnt use pepperflash. I really hope that its fixed and pepperflash was the issue. 

I wonder why this started to be an issue with chrome on this computer after so many years.

Thank you so much!!  I'll update this thread if anything changes. 

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

like everything to do with linux sometimes things get broken when they are updated and that seems to be what has happened with the latest version of pepperflash, don't use it myself so haven't really read up on what the problem/bug is.

firefox can use either pepperflash or adobe flash, personally i have always used adobe flash and no idea how my mate (70+ old bloke.) came to be running pepperflash in the first place because i certainly never installed it for him, so it took me a while to figure out that was where the problem was and how to fix it.

:popcorn: