Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

bare wire speakers

• Please log in to reply

dvd7e

dvd7e

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Hi,

I recently got some old speakers (late 80's, early 90's?) that I think are decently high quality (or at least, I'd like to find out) but because they are old the only inputs are bare wire inputs (with the little red and black clips). My TV is much newer, just a few years old and a Smart TV, and it does not have bare wire output.

How do I connect the two?

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,269 posts

Hello dvd7e,

Banana plug connectors are a common way of doing what you ask but you must be careful with the length of the pin used + be aware that there may be power differences between the TV and that of the speakers, I would also suggest testing the speakers on something less valuable first, where did you acquire the speakers from, can it be confirmed that they work, if they had been tossed in the trash for example they may be faulty and take out your TV.

dvd7e

dvd7e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

OK thank you. I'll have to give that a try.

(The speakers came were left behind by the sellers of the house that we just bought, which is at least better than finding them in the trash. I don't know if they actually work or not but I don't have any reason to believe that they don't.)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 21,269 posts

You are welcome  :)

Do you have the TV model name so that we can see if there is an online manual available for it, this may allow us to find the speaker port specs.

strollin

strollin

• Pip
  • 8 posts

A link to the TV manual would be great but at minimum, we woud need to know what kind of audio output(s) the TV has available.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

more than likely the tv speaker output will not have enough voltage to power the speakers, so you'd probably need a power amp in between them.

to test you just need to find what type of sound output connections are on the tv (like strollin said.) then buy that type of plug and connect it to one end of some speaker wire and the other bare end to the speaker connection points,

because of the way speakers work it really doesn't matter which way round you connect the wires to the plug type, + doesn't need to go to + and - doesn't need to go to - (preferable but not essential.)

also there is no voltage coming from the speakers so i doubt there is any possibility of blowing something in the tv.

i'd guess the tv uses the usual sound output connection that needs this type of plug. :- http://www.maplin.co...lug-black-fj89w

like i first said tho i seriously doubt the tv would be able to power the speakers with any type of sound output worth listening to without some type of amp in between the tv socket and the speaker wires.

:popcorn:

you can do a quick test of the speakers using a 9 volt battery, just connect each wire to a terminal and you should hear a click.

here's a video showing what i mean.

http://www.soundspea...n Instructions/

Edited by terry1966, 22 October 2014 - 07:02 PM.

dvd7e

dvd7e

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

If this helps at all, the speakers are:

Technics. Model SB-A27. 3 way speaker system. Manufactured by Matsushita. 8 ohm impedence. Input: "240 W, Music: 120W, DIN"

The TV is a Panasonic CT-36E13G.  AP408. August 2003

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

sorry don't really know what more i can tell you, can't find any info on that tv.

do you have a sound/hifi system?

to get sound out from a tv you usually either connect powered speakers like you use for a pc to the tv or connect the tv to an amp or sound system (with it;s built in amp.) which is then connected to the speakers.

in my opinion to get those speakers to work if you do not already own a sound system you are going to need to buy an amp, it's as simple as that, they will not work connected directly to the tv.

if the amp you buy doesn't have bare wire output connection points like on the speakers then you are going to have to put the correct type plug at one end, maybe a phono/rca plug(shown in earlier post/link or maybe buy a cable with plugs on both ends and cut one set off to leave bare wire at one end.) on one end of a bare wire speaker cable and connect this end to the amp and the other bare wire end connects to the speakers.

so the final connection would be red and white phone plugs/cable from tv into red and white phone plugs input connection point on the amp/sound system then red output from amp/sound system to 1 speaker and white output from amp/sound system to other speaker.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 29 October 2014 - 05:07 AM.