Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hp XL 916 Freezing

• Please log in to reply

Wes Craven

Wes Craven

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I uninstalled the CD drive from this system, and installed an HP 9300 series CDRW, now it keeps freezing. I am not sure where to plug the jumpers in,
I can't remember where I unplugged them from. I have very little room to work with inside this system.
Thanks,
Wes.

Advertisements

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
It depends how you've attached the CDRW to the ribbon cable. If you've simply placed it in the same position as the original CDR set the jumpers to the same position.
If you can't remember or you've removed the jumpers from the old unit then if the CDRW shares the same cable as the Hard Drive and is connected to the end of the ribbon cable, set it to Master with the HDD set to Slave.
If it's connected to the middle of the ribbon cable, then set as Slave with the HDD set as Master.
Alternatively if both CDRW and HDD have a Cable Select jumper location, set both units to this position.

Wes Craven

Wes Craven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The CRDW is slave and HDD is Master, I reversed the jumper from where it was plugged in, and plugged it in the slot next to the one where I had it, It runs for a minute then freezes again. I get past the splash, and sign in, then it freezes.
(Xp Home)
THANKS
WES

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Are both HDD and CDRW on the same ribbon cable ?

Wes Craven

Wes Craven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
yes it is the same cable