Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows xp (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Pasadeana

Pasadeana

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Hello, My windows xp pro was not allowing me to sign on into my computer. The user box wouldn't let me type my password. I put in my windows xp pro cd to repair any problems. It completed the repair but the problem was still the same. I did have a few system crashes so I am aware that some inportant files have been missing. I don't know exactly which files. So I then try to re-install windows. Half way thru the install it stops and tells me I need the asms file from the service pack 2 cd. I dont have this cd. I cant go forward or backwords until I find this cd or file. I need to get on my computer. I do have a windows xp home cd which includes the service pack 2 on it. I try this cd. It doesn't help. I decide to install this windows xp home instead. When trying to install the xp home, I have option to delete the installation in limbo or install in a partiton. I didn't want to lose my programs or info, so I followed the instructions and it allowed me to install windows xp home in a partition. I know nothing about parttions or what I just did. I now have windows xp pro stuck in the setup and windows xp home in a partition. I have set up the xp home to get online and with antivirus. I am using this windows now. I was able to find the asms file to complete the xp pro installation. It was a nightmare. I had to find approx. 25 files. It completed and I can get into this windows xp pro.  It is not functioning well. I want to know if I can transfer some programs like my Microsoft Office, Picasa, Firefox (for my passwords and bookmarks) and my Documents over to the windows xp home? If not, then I need to delete the windows xp pro. When I am in windows xp pro, I have to use my desktop keyboard. The drivers for my keyboard and cd rom drive are missing. I wasn't able to reinstall them. So this is the windows I want to delete. I dont know how to do this. For some reason I feel that it might mess up my operating system if I do. When I turn on my computer the screen pops up in the bios that ask me to choose WINDOWS XP PROFFESIONAL OR WINDOWS XP HOME. When I am in either windows, I can get into some things thru windows explorer. It ID's them as "WINDOWS" and "WINDOWS2". Both are on my C:\  drive. I only have one other drive which is an external drive plugged in my USB. I need to uninstall one of these windows soon. I am out of space on my computer and it freezes up on me if I am online for more than an hour. Everytime I sign off, I run Ccleaner to free up space so I dont freeze or crash. Please, help me fix my computer. Thank you, Pasadeana.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Pasadeana,

If you have a full XP Pro disk you can back up all of your important data and the present drivers etc and then format the HDD and reinstall XP Pro on its own partition, once done you can download important updates/service packs from MS.

In answer to your question, unfortunately any programs that are on the partition where XP Pro is will have to be reinstalled, unlike music and pictures etc they cannot be copied/backed up as they have exe. files/executable files which are used to install and run programs, if you have the space available on the external HDD you could clone or create a back up image of the partition that has your important data on it, a good free software for this is Macrium Reflect which you can get from here

Just in case you do not have all of your licence keys readily available to you/should you need it The Magical Jelly Bean Product KeyFinder can find them for you while XP Pro etc are still accessible, details here

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Pasadeana

Pasadeana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The windows that I want to keep in on a partion. So if I format the windows xp pro that is the original windows that came with the computer, it will also clear the partion windows as well? Here is an idea I hope will work for me. If I format it all and reinstall the windows xp home (my pro cd is bootleg and is missing files) and with my computer being clear of everything but windows xp home, i will now have enough space to upgrade to windows 7. I tried to do this before but, I didn't have enough free space. What is your opinion on this idea? I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

So the XP Pro that is installed is legit, if yes run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor tool from here and this will provide you with the information that you need to know better than we can from afar  :thumbsup:

Please note that when dual booting that the older OS must be installed first, this because the older OS does not have all of the contents of the newer OS and will fail to boot.

NB: Get rid of the non legit XP Pro as we cannot help where illegal software is present.

You are welcome btw  :)

Pasadeana

Pasadeana

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Sorry it took me a lil while to respond, I wasn't able to get back online until I reinstalled my windows. Thank you for your help. I appreciated very much. :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Edited by Pasadeana, 03 November 2014 - 12:50 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not a problem and you are most welcome  :)

Let us know if we can help with anything further.