Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 won't boot

• Please log in to reply

natte

natte

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Few days ago my desktop computer didn't want to boot up. The screen said "enter a proper boot device", so i checked if the cables were connected properly into the Hard Drive and they were. I was able to enter BIOS and i couldn't find the hard drive. I pressed F12 to try boot with something else, but only thing that came up was DVD-RW.

Also, my hard drive makes some weird clicking noise for a few seconds when i boot up the computer. It seems obvious that the hard drive is broken, but could it be other problems in the computer? I want to know before i buy a new Hard Drive and is there any chance of saving the Documents, Files etc..?

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB

Operative System: Windows 7 home premium 64-bit

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

If your HDD is clicking as you say and that the BIOS cannot detect it there are big chances that your HDD is damage.

This you can try to verify if the HDD is working or not:

- Connect it to another Sata Port

- Change your Sata cable

- Change the power plug to another free one

- Connect your HDD to another computer as a slave to see if it is detected by it's BIOS

Here is a link to knowed HDD clicking sound and reason why

http://datacent.com/...rive_sounds.php

If by any chance you are able to detect your HDD when connected to another computer you may try to backup your files before it dies completely.

Hope that helps

natte

natte

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

If your HDD is clicking as you say and that the BIOS cannot detect it there are big chances that your HDD is damage.

This you can try to verify if the HDD is working or not:

- Connect it to another Sata Port

- Change your Sata cable

- Change the power plug to another free one

- Connect your HDD to another computer as a slave to see if it is detected by it's BIOS

Here is a link to knowed HDD clicking sound and reason why

http://datacent.com/...rive_sounds.php

If by any chance you are able to detect your HDD when connected to another computer you may try to backup your files before it dies completely.

Hope that helps

Thanks

Edited by natte, 23 October 2014 - 08:07 AM.