Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

any suggestions for home photo printers?

• Please log in to reply

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Hello friends. I am wondering if anyone has some personal experience with photo printers, or if you know of a good review site for photo printers.
I want to know how much the cost is per photo, if the printer only makes 4x6 images or can it make 5x7 as well? How much is the ink cost? I would appreciate some help.

Thanks

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Hello BearCavalry,

In my experience  I liked Epson, Cannon is also decent. All can make different sizes and other software on the PC also makes this possible. Using Photoshop programs will help and can edit and improve your photos.

Photo Printers although are very expensive, this matters by the quality and features of the photo printer you buy, the DPI (dots per inch) it has is important to the resolution of the photos you print. The paper you use should be quality Glossy paper. Also quality of Photo being printed matters too.

Look for a printer that has a memory card slot. Do not know if this is what you mean exactly, if you are taking them from a Digital Camera.

Other printers from these brands can give you qualty photos without going to a photo printer. So the cost per photo is the paper you buy, the first ink cartridges comes with the printer.

Refill Ink ranges around $ 13.00- $14.00 per color ,this matters to how many colors it has plus black.Paper varies from brand, quality and amount

Take a look at Epson's site, even look at ones that are not classified photo printers, the quality is good enough to use for this and mattering to how professional you want them to look. Scanner is good to have and some are All in One. Scanner can be used to scan older photos you already have and want to edit,fix and print.

http://www.pcmag.com...,1872566,00.asp

http://www.epson.com...e=yes&oid=-8168

Edited by jds63, 23 October 2014 - 05:49 PM.

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Hello BearCavalry,

In my experience  I liked Epson, Cannon is also decent. Most can make different sizes and other software on PC also makes this possible. Even using Photoshop programs will help and can edit and improve your photos.
Photo Printers although are very expensive, then this matters to how good of a quality photo printer you buy, the DPI (dots per inch) it has is important to the quality of photo. Then the paper you use has to be quality glossy paper.
Look for a printer has a memory card slot too. Other printers from these brands can give you qualty photos without going to a photo printer. So not cost per photo, paper you buy, ink made for printer and quality of photo what it was taken from, digital camera.Do not know if this is what you mean, taking them from a camera and printing them.

Ink ranges around $ 13.00- $14.00 per color ,this matters to how many colors it has plus black.

Take a look at Epson's site, even look at ones that are not clasified photo printers, quality is good enough mattering to how professional you want them. Scanner is good to have and some are All in One.

http://www.pcmag.com...,1872566,00.asp

http://www.epson.com...e=yes&oid=-8168

Wow!! Thank you! I appreciate your input very much.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

yw, bit of an edit above

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Just as a for what it's worth, I now have a Canon, however the one previous was a Kodak, the Kodak was supposed to be the bees knees for photograph printing, however I soon found that the separate print head can clog up and cannot be cleared, the only recourse is buy a new print head, which comes at near the same price as the printer. Kodak inks might well be cheap, but the print heads aren't, hence why I changed and got the Canon.

Nev.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Just as a for what it's worth, I now have a Canon, however the one previous was a Kodak, the Kodak was supposed to be the bees knees for photograph printing, however I soon found that the separate print head can clog up and cannot be cleared, the only recourse is buy a new print head, which comes at near the same price as the printer. Kodak inks might well be cheap, but the print heads aren't, hence why I changed and got the Canon.

Nev.

Except for dryed up ink cartridges at times, never had an issue like that with any Epson's i owned. Yes Cannon is good too, most will say HP is also, but never fan of HP printers,something about the blacks not looking black.

Edited by jds63, 24 October 2014 - 02:35 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

The secret with the Epson separate print heads is the way they work, they very heavily patented the system of using a piezo electric ink pump which doesn't normally dry up. Other manufacturers use a thermal pump, to spray the ink it is heated to near steam to force it out of the jets. Being heated it does eventually clog up with dried ink.

I suspect Kodak couldn't get round the Epson patents so also used the thermal type pump. Can't be sure as Kodak are very tight with their information regarding it.

Nev.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

The secret with the Epson separate print heads is the way they work, they very heavily patented the system of using a piezo electric ink pump which doesn't normally dry up. Other manufacturers use a thermal pump, to spray the ink it is heated to near steam to force it out of the jets. Being heated it does eventually clog up with dried ink.

I suspect Kodak couldn't get round the Epson patents so also used the thermal type pump. Can't be sure as Kodak are very tight with their information regarding it.

Nev.

Another reason been an Epson fan for years.