Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only Firefox Will Connect to Internet

• Please log in to reply

gmelancon

gmelancon

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I wasn't sure what group to put this in. Only Firefox can access the internet. The other browsers don't work, some games will update, but they won't log in to the actual game. Other games won't even update at all. When it first occured, Steam and League of Legends did not work. But I was able to play Warframe just fine. Today, everything but Firefox no longer works. I checked if it was a setting dealing with proxxy servers, but that wasn't the case. I also don't think it was due to an update because it didn't mess up all at once, and I don't think there was an update at all unless I missed it. Any help is appreciated.

Specs:

Windows 8.1

Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

16 GB RAM

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

gmelancon,

What other browsers ? IE ? Try resetting IE, internet options in control panel, first tab delete history, security and Privacy keep on default settings, Advanced tab click reset, then reset again.

Also try unplug the modem for 15 seconds, then plug back in, reboot PC. Also in notification area right click the Network icon run a troubleshoot  problems, see if it finds anything and fixes it.

Have any restore points before this happened ?

gmelancon

gmelancon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I don't actually use IE, I only checked to see if it was working for the purposes of identifying all the problems I was having. The fact that it isn't working doesn't really matter. The issue is that Steam and my games don't work. I would conctact them, but since it seems to be an issue across developers and companies, it is obviously on my end. Also, perhaps I should have mentioned, I am living in a on-campus apartment at my university, so I have no access to the router or any other equipment. My roommate hasn't had any issues getting online or with his other applications.

Also, I may have a restore point, but I didn't do it myself. There may be automatically made ones that I can look for.

Edited by gmelancon, 24 October 2014 - 04:32 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

O.k. originally stated Firefox only one get internet access.Just figured try resetting IE see if you can use it to see if you can get access to this site. Sometimes issue lies with, certain plug ins, extensions in browsers, some are different.

O.k. so it's Wireless, WiFi .

Anyway to try your roomates PC for access to steam's log in ?

When restore point was made matters to when this problem occured, yes does not matter if made automatically. Try going back to one, but not sure when this started.

Could also be some othe conflict from other softwareor drivers on system from updates. Believing problem with certain games on Steam. Try contact them also, won't hurt.

gmelancon

gmelancon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I am using a wired connection through the wall. I will post again after testing wireless and looking for a restore point. I figure sometime last week or earlier should be far enough back. Also, it isn't just Steam games, Steam is just what I noticed was not working first. And my roommate went home for the weekend, but he said he wasn't having any problems before he left when I asked.

Thanks for the help, I will post again in a bit with the results.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

o.k. basic problem is with game sites and playing games online only ? Basically need to first know that internet access is working correctly on your PC, before solve online game issue.

Maybe a setting has changed hopefully system restore will help or something else is conflicting.

Try a System File Checker   sfc /scannow

At ADMIN Command prompt.

Then copy and paste this in same ADMIN Command Prompt

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

May help correct some system files if corrupt

Edited by jds63, 24 October 2014 - 06:45 PM.

gmelancon

gmelancon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

I could not find any restore points, but I have now set up my antivirus to make one weekly. Wireless made no difference. I ran the scan function and it says it found corrupt files, but not all could be fixed. Details to be found in a "CBS.log"

I am running the second command now.

The second command reports it was successful. I will try restarting and test it.

Edited by gmelancon, 24 October 2014 - 07:39 PM.

gmelancon

gmelancon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Thank you so much! It worked. I appreciate you taking the time to help. Have a great day!

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Thank you so much! It worked. I appreciate you taking the time to help. Have a great day!

Good i am glad it did,your most welcome!!!