Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sync local folder on office pc w/ local folder on Surface Pro?

• Please log in to reply

aaronpace

aaronpace

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello,

I found this forum out of necessity. I have done a fair share of googling this question without any luck/resolution. Hopefully someone here will have a useful answer.

I use a program at my office that stores data in the local program folder on my pc. However i also use this program on my tablet (surface pro 3). these are both windows devices (7,8 respectively) so i'm hoping that works to my advantage.

Most of the resolutions i found on google involved using my OneDrive; however the "Local" folder is approx 15 GB depending on the number of projects so this is not an option.

I would rather find a solution that does not involve an external HDD at this is just one more piece of equipment to carry and i worry about performance issues while working on the projects.

In my opinion the ideal solution is:

Use the program while i am at the office, the files save to the "Local" folder on my PC and then when my tablet is "awake" the modified files automatically sync over our wifi connection.

The wifi aspect isnt a deal breaker, i am fine with syncing via a USB 3.0 cord as well.

The main goal is i want the projects/data from the "Local" folder to sync with either my PC or my tablet (depending on which file has the most recent time stamp). So obviously if i work on a project during the week and need to view/modify it outside the office, any changes made will sync to the PC the next time I connect via the wifi or USB.

I am also open to alternative solutions that i may be missing.

*Cross posted to Windows 7 Forum as well.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Microsoft.com > SyncToy 2.1

Wikipedia.org > Comparison of file synchronization software

?

Edited by SpywareDr, 25 October 2014 - 07:55 AM.

aaronpace

aaronpace

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks guys. I think between SyncToy and BitTorrent Sync i may have found a solution

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Cool. :)