Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Error Loading OS

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Out of the blue I received the following error on one of my systems at boot up:

Error 1 Loading OS. This may be due to a virus.
1. Shutdown
2. Boot from floppy
3. Run ONTRACK Disk Manager
4. Select "Upgrade" from advanced options

At first I thought this was a set of menu options, then I realized it was instructions. I don't even have ONTRACK that I am aware of...is this something Maxtor has in their bios overlay? This system is an "off the net" video editing system. a virus seems unlikely.

Has anyone seen a message like this before?

Sony Vaio desktop
Maxtor model 98196H8
Win 2k

thanks in advance!

Edited by danCanMan, 11 June 2005 - 10:16 AM.

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Google search of ONTRACK Disk Manager finds multiple hits. It appears to be 3rd party disk management software, not specific to maxtor. Maybe it came pre-installed on your system? So the computer won't boot? Can you boot into safe mode? Do you have a windows install cd or a bootable system restore cd?