Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MBR needs altering

• Please log in to reply

Shamancio

Shamancio

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, I got myself in quite a pickle... a while ago I tryed to reformat my hdd in a laptop, so I took it out, put it on my desktop pc and partitioned it, reformatted it... and reinstalled windows, I backed up all my files that I needed on my xbox, weird. But anywho. Now that MBR is set to boot up on the pc and not the laptop, I need some insight on where to get like an MBR creator floppy boot disk. Like, maybe fdisk can do that, I've heard that it can repair and overwrite it. but I can't find a usable compilation of fdisk on the internet. that boots. any suggestions?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Firstly, may I ask why you reckon its the MBR that needs repairing?

Secondly, did you create the partitions on the laptops drive to be NTFS or FAT32?

Shamancio

Shamancio

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ok, I did it all from another computer, so the mbr was signed on that computer, and that is why I reckon its the mbr, I repaired it, and then it sayed no active partition could be found, it was formatted in ntfs, and if its not active, is this as simple as putting in my other machine, make it so it boots up to the OS on that drive, take it out and put it in the laptop?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You can partition & format a drive using another computer, but if that drive is installed as a secondary drive, it often won't be made active, as you can only have one active partition/drive in a system at a time.

You also don't want to install the OS whilst the drive is in another machine.

It doesn't sound like theres anything wrong with the MBR except that the drive hasn't been made active.

If you go to this link & download the 'Windows XP system setup disk' - single floppy disk version, you can boot your system from it, with the drive installed, run fdisk from the floppy & just make the drive active using that.

http://freepctech.co.../files010.shtml