Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LG Monitor in Power Saving Mode on boot up (Resolved)

Power saving monitor

• Please log in to reply

britabroad

britabroad

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Booted up my desktop this morning to find that the monitor goes into Power Saving Mode.
This has happened once before some time ago, and was rectified by removing a RAM stick which was faulty.

I've tried turning off everything & waiting for 10 minutes, and Un-plugging and re-plugging the VGA cable to no avail.
I've also replaced the 2 existing RAM sticks with new ones, but nothing.
I haven't installed any updates except Windows Defender, and Mozilla Firefox updated itself yesterday but was running without problems.
The PC turns on normally and sounds like it boots up. Just nothing on the monitor except the Power Saving Mode sign.
The monitor is an LG Flatron W2243S
The OS is Windows 7 Ultimate
Asus P8P67 LE motherboard
Intel i5 2500K processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570HD 1.28GB GrAphics Card PCI-E
Kingston Hyper X 4GB DDR3 SDRAM

Been looking through the forums, but not much in the way of solved forums with this one.
Any help or advice would be appreciated. But I warn you, my knowledge isn't great.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello britabroad,

The video card is a strong contender as the cause but have you tried connecting the LG screen to another computer to ensure that it is working ok, a notebook will do for this.

Do you still have the TX650 PSU that had in your previous thread here

britabroad

britabroad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thanks for the quick reply Phil

Plugged the VGA cable into my laptop. Desktop booted as normal, but nothing on the laptop screen.

Re-pugged the VGA cable back into the monitor and ... all back to normal.

So, untill/unless this happens again for no apparent reason, thanks again for the help.

Any ideas what could have caused it?

Yes, still got the TX650 PSU ... no probs with that yet.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are welcome britabroad  :)

Not all notebooks automatically switch to external screen mode when they are connected to a monitor and you may need to press either a single function key that has a picture of a screen etched on it or alternatively the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys need pressing down together, Fn + F5 is a common combination followed by Fn + F4, something to keep in mind for the future  <_<

What may have caused it would be speculating but a poor video connection to the card or screen is possible.

One of the best PSUs ever made the TX650 and it will serve you well, any further problems let us know else we will give it a couple of days and consider the issue resolved if we don't hear back from you  :thumbsup: