Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Budget gaming pc.. issues within

• Please log in to reply

Drajkan

Drajkan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys,
first of all sorry for any typos etc, I'm using my mobile phone as I currently can not use my computer. You will see.

So to start, I built a budget gaming desktop. Yes I know you will or do get a lot of these. I built this specifically so it has room to work on later. For now I'm wondering, as a base, what do you think? Any issues you can see with it? First point of upgrade etc.

Parts:
CPU: AMD FX-8320 am3+ 3.5ghz 8 core black edition.
Mobo: ASRock 990FX Extreme3
RAM: Kingston 2x4gb 1600mhz hyper
GPU: Sapphire VAPOR-X R9 270X 2gb DDR5 Overclocked with boost.
HDD: Seagate 500gb Sata3 (7200rpm I think)
PSU: Aerocool VP-750W true power
Case: Thermaltake Commander MS-II

Now, I know the RAM, hdd and case are pretty epic in a shot sense. But as a starting point that's what I got (I planned on using my tax refund to deck it out)

So wondering what you think, what issues you see. Now for the kicker.....
I was on that computer (built it 3 months ago) was going to make a topic asking what you lot think, suggestions for cooling as my CPU apparently goes from 35-40 degrees idle to 70-80degrees gaming in literally 1 minute. Bottlenecking the cpu etc..however, it just blew up lol I think it's the PSU that fried cos of the smell... so now I really need proper upgrade/ fix solution.
Cheers xD

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:     Drajkan,

Upgrade question aside for the moment, the first thing that I suggest that you do is remove the PSU and examine - test it, you can use the example guide from Corsair here also before you do this can you explain in a bit more detail what actually happened as in was there a bang or did the screen go black and there was a burning smell etc, be sure to disconnect the main power cord from the wall first and then press the case power button to dispel any residual charge left in the system.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Drajkan

Drajkan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, thanks for the reply.

No bang just simply playing CS smelt something familiar, realised it was a burning smell, quit CS and instantly the whole PC switched off.

I will test the PSU after I get home from work and let you know.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No bang offers hope that more serious damage has not been done so fingers crossed for you, the PSU or a melted cable are often related to that rather unpleasant smell  :(

The information below is intended as enlightenment and in no way meant as criticism, computer problems can be stressful but thankfully we learn from them and mostly avoid the same pitfall/s again.

The Aerocool brand of PSU is not among the best which is shocking when you consider that they commonly use good quality internal parts from Andyson and Channel Well and only used the lesser known HEC in a few of their units, your PSU did not hold up well when independently tested and only managed 600W when claiming to put out 750W, it only has a 1 year warranty (2 in the European Union) + it does not have a minimum certified rating which is scary, see excerpt from the independent test**;

Summary
Aerocool’s Value series is far from impressive. These PSUs are not very efficient and do not deliver stable voltages. They are also noisy, except for the VP-750 model which is, unfortunately, the worst in other parameters.

Had you known this I suspect you would not have purchased this particular PSU.

** See PSU Review Database link in my sig for full PSU details and test results.

Drajkan

Drajkan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Wow, I had no idea. To be perfectly honest I knew aerocool were a budget PSU but you're right, had I known that I would have spent that little bit extra.

That being said however, if I had of known how loud my stock CPU fan is, I would have upgraded there too. I mean seriously, running at 6600+ rpm gets kinda loud,for everyone in the house except me wearing the headphones lol.

Still yet to test my PSU, will do as soon as I get home, I have secured a Corsair 650w modular a mate at work is going to give me tomorrow. I'm pretty sure my system build will run off that.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I thought not  :thumbsup:

Once you have the computer up and running again we can look at controlling your CPU fan speed if you like, using an aftermarket cooler with a CPU that is shipped with its own HS and fan is not a good idea btw, see my canned text below that I provide to system builders, good PSU the Corsair CX650M if that is what you will be getting.

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty both AMD and Intel are clear on this, see below;

AMD;

This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

Full AMD article @ http://support.amd.c...earLimited.aspx

Intel;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including  accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions,  misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper  testing;

Full Intel article available @ http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-009862.htm

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

It's been a while since we heard from you.   How are things going?   An update would be appreciated.