Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot visit some web sites

• Please log in to reply

CZ2761

CZ2761

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Hello:  I worked with a tech from the Malware forum but the issue I'm having doesn't appear to be Malware related.  I cannot open Walmart.com or Target.com.  Lowes.com doesn't work correctly.  When I attempt to open WM or Target, only a white screen appears.  I can open Lowes but cannot navigate through pages of items I search on.  Any help you can give is appreciated.  Thank you.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What Operating System?

What Web Browser are you using?

Have you tried other Web Browsers?

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Hello---I'm using Windows 7 and have tried loading the troubled pages on IE, Firefox, and Chrome with no luck.  

Thanks. 

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, there are at least two places they may be blocked, either the firewall or in the hosts files, which firewall and antivirus are you using please so we can advise where to look to see if they are blocked there first.

Nev.

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

I use Windows firewall and Avast antivirus.  I installed Avast this morning so it is probably not the problem.

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Haven't heard back from you.....will you be able to help?

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Hey CZ2761,

I remember you said this happened in all your browsers and it's just Walmart, Target, & Lowes.  I am wondering if it is something to do with registration or some such.

Are you logging in for example using a bookmark to access the site and then attempting to log in to your account.

Maybe your bookmark is corrupt or outdated. In other words have you tried going to the site without using a bookmark?

If you are logging in, maybe it's your registration at the site that is corrupted or needs updating?

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

I've been trying to access the sites by entering the url in the address line.  Never had a bookmark for any of the sites I'm having trouble with and I'm not attempting to log into the site.  

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

One thing we didn't try in the Malware forum was to boot your machine into Safe Mode to see if that made a difference.

Try that:

Boot into Safe Mode:

1) Restart your computer
2) After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap F8 continually.
3) If you are asked what mode to bootup in press Esc to boot in the default settings
4) Instead of Windows loading as normal, a menu should appear
5) Select the option to run Windows in Safe Mode.

Once in Safe Mode see if you can get to those sites.

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

no luck...sites won't load in safe mode either.

Advertisements

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

Can you google search for those sites and click on what you find? In other words get to them that way?

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Googling, I can't get to the link for the store (walmart.com or target.com) but if I click on something like Hiring Center or Weekly Ads I can get to those parts of the web site.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

I am out of ideas. :)

For anyone else that might have a suggestion here is a link to the Malware forum topic:

http://www.geekstogo...-player-issues/

The hosts file which might have been a suspect will have been reset by ComboFix so I don't think that is the culprit. Cache was cleared and Zoek reset the browsers.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Instead of Safe Mode, try booting to Safe Mode with Networking, see what works.

If you click on these links, do they work in regular boot or Safe Mode with Networking?

http://www.walmart.com/
http://www.target.com/
http://www.lowes.com/

If they don't work, what exactly happens?

What exactly are you typing in the URL input area of the browsers?

You may have to enclose it in a code box (<> icon) so I can see exactly what you enter.

Since you have XP, you have IE8. Try this:  Reset Internet Explorer 8 settings
For Firefox:  Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems
For Google Chrome:  Reset browser settings

Reboot and see if the problem is resolved.

Also try resetting the hosts file.

Open Windows Explorer, navigate to: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

If there is a file there called hosts rename it to hosts.sav

Reboot and see if the problem is resolved.

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Hello:  I used your links above in both safe mode with networking and regular boot, reset my settings, and renamed the hosts file.  I am still having the same issues. When I enter (<>walmart.com) of (<>target.com) in IE, FF, or Chrome no output appears in the window.  It's simply a white screen.  I can get output for (<>Lowes.com) but when I search for an item (in my case cabinet door) and attempt to navigate to another page I get a error stating "A server error has occurred").  I do not get this error on other computers in my home.