Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot visit some web sites

• Please log in to reply

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

fyi:   Today I received an email from Target and for a test I clicked on the ShopTarget.com from the email and still received a white screen.  

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

So clicking on the link I gave you works or not?

What about entering the full address in the URL area:

http://www.walmart.com/
http://www.target.com/
http://www.lowes.com/

Does that work?

What about other size,

yahoo.com

google.com

mozilla.org

Do they all fail the same way?

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

I hope I didn't confuse you with my "fyi" post. I replied with the results of clicking on your links in a separate post.  In any case, clicking your links did not work and neither does entering the complete URL in the address line. I can successfully bring up yahoo, google, and mozilla by entering them as you indicate above.  Thanks.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

In any case, clicking your links did not work and neither does entering the complete URL in the address line. I can successfully bring up yahoo, google, and mozilla by entering them as you indicate above.

You are confusing the heck out of me :upset:

You say entering the full url doesn't work then you say entering them as I indicate works. What I indicate is the full URL which you say doesn't work.

Thus my confusion.

In any case, it sounds like automatic URL completion is not working. See here:

How to enable or disable my Internet browser's Autocomplete

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Here's a summary of what you requested and the results:  

1)  Request:  click on the troubled sites from the links supplied in your post

Result:     Walmart & Target do not load; Lowe's loads but when I search for an item and a multi-page result set returns, a server error appears when I try to navigate to page 2, 3,                      4......

2)  Request:  enter the full address in the URL area

Result:     same as above 

3)  Request:  attempt to enter yahoo, google, mozilla sites

Result:     I can successfully enter those 3 sites.  

I disabled the automatic URL completion but that did not fix the problem.  The result is the same as #1 and #2 above.

This is a strange issue.....I appreciate your help.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, one thing we haven't tried yet is your firewall, you say you are using Windows own?

Are you connected to the internet through a router?

If yes to both the router firewall will protect you for a short time, so try disabling the Windows firewall, see if you can connect then.

Let us know please.

If it is blocking those site we will have to try a reverse of this advice for blocking sites, which I found on the Windows Community on this page.

http://answers.micro...1c-1625f1954615

1. Open Windows Firewall from the control panel

2. Select Advanced Settings

3. Select Inbound Rules from the left selection pane4. Select New Rule from the right selection pane

a. select Custom and click next

b. leave All Programs selected and click next

c. click next on the Protocols and Ports page  

d. on the scope page enter the IP (i.e. 192.168.1.0 NOT the WWW) address of the site you want to block

in the "Which remote IP addresses does this rule apply to?" section

(if you don't know the IP or how to find it,search the internet for "how to find an ip address with nslookup")

e. select Block the connection on the Action page, click next

f. leave all boxes checked on Profile page if you don't ever want to see the website on any network      connection, modify if you want to allow on a Domain, public or private network

g. name the new rule (something meaningful so you can remember it if you want to edit it later)

and click Finish

5. select Outbound Rules from the left selection pane and repeat ALL steps precisely from #4

6. test in ANY browser... not just Internet Explorer

The rules can be edited later if you want to add more IP addresses to block.

If you want to disable the rules for a short time without deleting them follow steps 1-3 then find your rule(it should be toward the top of the list), click to highlight the rule then click disable from the right selection pane. Do the same for the outbound rule and you can now turn this on and off when you want.

Nev.

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Disabling the firewall did not resolve my issues.  I turned the firewall back on and followed the instructions for blocking the connections to the problem sites but nothing changed....I still cannot bring up Walmart or Target sites and still have the navigation problem with Lowes.  For laughs, I blocked the Yahoo site and whether Yahoo is added to the blocked sites list or not, the page loads successfully.  

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

please note....after rebooting my machine, yahoo does not load in IE but loads successfully in FF and Chrome even though it's in the blocked list.  

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, OK something is still blocking those sites, yet so far myself and Ztruker have tried everything regarding your computer, also including the fact the hosts file should have been reset. The next thing might just be a block in your router firewall.

If it is possible to take your computer to a friends and try it on their internet connection is possibly the simplest way to prove that one. If it connects there, it has to be your router.

Nev.

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

I could take my laptop to a friend's and try to bring up the sites, but if the router is blocking them, wouldn't the other computers in my house be having issues accessing those sites also? The sites come up fine on the other 2 computers in my house.  

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Do try Safe Mode with Networking, not just Safe Mode.

CZ2761

CZ2761

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Sorry...don't understand.  Try what in safe mode with networking?  I've tried a few times to get to the sites booting up in safe mode with networking but with no luck.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

When I asked you said you tried Safe Mode. You said nothing about Safe Mode with Networking which is why I asked you to try it.

At this point I think your best and quickest solution is to backup your data and do a restore to factory state or a Clean Install unless someone else has other idea on how to fix this.