Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard & mouse not working at login screen (solved)

login bootup keyboard mouse usb power working boot dual-boot Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

silofonari

silofonari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Gday.

Thanks for the update.

As you are using two seperate drives, there should be no conflicts/corruption with a boot manager, so strange that when both diskx connected, Windows fails.

Please try the steps in reply #13 and post the result.

Re. the MB disc.   You would need windows running, > insert the CD, it should Auto run, > select Custom Install, > select drivers, > select All, > install.

When they are installed you will return to the install screen again, > select Utilities (possible software as well), select the ones you want.   I would not install the trial or free software.

When installation is complete, > click the Finish button, > reboot the system.

Like which one of the optional software could that be? I usually try to keep my installations as clean as possible, also in terms of the quantity of installed apps...

Anyway, I'm going to check on that as I get home later today. But as you said, the dual-drive-setup makes cause the issue really mysterious

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

These are the drivers on the CD.   You would tick all the boxes and the drivers would be installed in the correct order, > http://www.gigabyte....pid=4962#driver

These are the utilities and software.  NB. The APP centre must be installed first for much of the content to work correctly, you could install that, then anything you think essential then go back later if you desire/need something else.   > http://www.gigabyte....id=4962#utility

If you explore the CD, there should be a Readme.  

Signing off, bed time, back in about 7 hours.

Tip, If your last reply has not been answered, click the edit button, add more content, click Save Changes 

silofonari

silofonari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

These are the drivers on the CD.   You would tick all the boxes and the drivers would be installed in the correct order, > http://www.gigabyte....pid=4962#driver

These are the utilities and software.  NB. The APP centre must be installed first for much of the content to work correctly, you could install that, then anything you think essential then go back later if you desire/need something else.   > http://www.gigabyte....id=4962#utility

If you explore the CD, there should be a Readme.  

Signing off, bed time, back in about 7 hours.

Tip, If your last reply has not been answered, click the edit button, add more content, click Save Changes 

Okay so I basically got all the drivers installed from the disk now. When the installation was finished, my mouse & keyboard stopped working for a couple of seconds (up to a minute or so). There are no "unknown / other devices" listed anymore. 

Would you advise me to give it a try and plug in both system SSDs at the same time right now, or what should I do? I'm really worried about breaking my installation again, since I did about 30-40 installations in the past week and it totally starts to annoy me (and futhermore, I don't think my SSDs appreciate it that much, to have hundreds of installations going on :P). 

Thank's so much already for all the advise!

*EDIT*

Oh, and one thing I now already noticed after rebooting: You guys may not know what this actually is, but the Photoshop brush preview now works like a charm, which it wasn't before ;) So there were at least some positive changes taking place right now...

Edited by silofonari, 30 October 2014 - 01:13 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Yes, try connecting the Linux drive and test because if there are still problems, there would be no point in in going further with the Windows install.

Don't worry about the amount of installs to the SSD, it's probable less writes than a small project in PhotoShop

Did you do a BIOS reset?

On subsiquent reboots, are you still getting a USB delay?

Are you installing additional drives for Data storage or for use with PhotShop?   If yes, any RAID arrays?

Are you installing a discrete GPU?

What SSDs do you have?   Do they have some software with them, IE. Magician, Tool Box?

but the Photoshop brush preview now works like a charm, which it wasn't before

Only a guess, the speed of running from a SSD vs HDD.

silofonari

silofonari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Yes, try connecting the Linux drive and test because if there are still problems, there would be no point in in going further with the Windows install.

Don't worry about the amount of installs to the SSD, it's probable less writes than a small project in PhotoShop

Did you do a BIOS reset?

On subsiquent reboots, are you still getting a USB delay?

Are you installing additional drives for Data storage or for use with PhotShop?   If yes, any RAID arrays?

Are you installing a discrete GPU?

What SSDs do you have?   Do they have some software with them, IE. Magician, Tool Box?

but the Photoshop brush preview now works like a charm, which it wasn't before

Only a guess, the speed of running from a SSD vs HDD.

Yeah you're totally right that I just have to do it at this point... it's just that it would suck if I had to start over again ;)

Concerning your questions:

• No, didn't do no BIOS reset... should I? I didn't change a thing as far as I know except for selecting the boot device (which is obviously necessary)
  • Will test wether there is a delay tomorrow (which means in about 8-10 hours from now here in Germany)
  • There is an additional HDD installed already and I use an external HDD for backup. But there is no RAID at the moment... may be added in the (not too close) future.
  • No discrete GPU, just the integrated one since I'm more focused on photos and less on videos right now
  • I use Crucial MX100 SSDs, one 128GB and one 256GB. They do not come with anything, so no software for that

When it comes to your guess: No, I didn't mean that it now runs smoothly, but instead, it didn't work at all before - which it now does; I guess it was enabled due to some sort of graphics driver installation

Thanks

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Ya, your explanation for PhotoShop is more likely.

A reset of the BIOS  could have elimated possible issues, but as it appears to be OK, leave for the moment.

Will wait for test results before making any other suggestion.

The additional HDD should be disconnected if you need to reinstall the OS again + the other SSD.   RAID can be ignored for the moment.

Crucial does not have a softwaretoolbox, fromn their site, you just need to look for firmware updates.

Here is a Tutorial for Windows 7 install, > http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html

silofonari

silofonari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Thanks for the update.

Ya, your explanation for PhotoShop is more likely.

A reset of the BIOS  could have elimated possible issues, but as it appears to be OK, leave for the moment.

Will wait for test results before making any other suggestion.

The additional HDD should be disconnected if you need to reinstall the OS again + the other SSD.   RAID can be ignored for the moment.

Crucial does not have a softwaretoolbox, fromn their site, you just need to look for firmware updates.

Here is a Tutorial for Windows 7 install, > http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html

Yay, looks good for now. I just connected SSD1, SSD2 and the HDD to my MB and booted Windows 7. I will of course have to test this a little longer since this was only the first boot (and also hope that Linux still runs as well), but that's at least one good step forward. 

So just for the record, in case I have to do this again sometimes or sb else encounters similar trouble:

1. Connect SSD1 to the MB and install the first OS (in my case Linux)
  2. Disconnect SSD1, connect SSD2 and install the second OS (in my case Windows)
  3. Directly after installing Windows (before the first reboot), insert the drivers CD - shipped with the MB  :yeah:  - and intall all the drivers
  4. You should now be fine reconnecting both OSs at the same time and chosing which one you want to boot from via the BIOS

So if Linux also still runs well, all theres left for me is waiting for getting my 4th SATA cable shipped (since otherwise, I have to swap cables in order to have a spare one for my DVD drive). 

(knocking on wood that everything runs)

And of course, a huge thanks to all of you guys. Without you, I think I would have thrown my newly build pc out of the window at some point  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

*UPDATE*

Okay, both OSs work properly. Strangely though, the keyboard - not the mouse - now fails at Linux login, which has never happened before but can easily be resolved by just unplugging it and replugging it in again. It's weird what's going on with my devices :P

Edited by iammykyl, 31 October 2014 - 04:18 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That is good progress.   I would advise you to do the following.

Windows 7 Firewall is OK but you will need some Anti Virus software or you will soon get infected.

I think Avira free, is about the best a the moment, small size and not a system hog, > http://www.avira.com...-free-antivirus

A stand alone on demand scanner.for downloaded files, > https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Tips.

Configure Windows Update to only install critical and important updates.

Use IE as your browser in windows to save space if you installed Chrome, Also needed for some downloads that use ActiveX.

Updates.

1. Intel drivers, > http://www.intel.com...ect?iid=dc_iduu

2  Check if there are any newer MB drivers than the one's you have installed, > http://www.gigabyte....oad-center.html

3, Allow Windows update to run.

Configure a backup strategy. 

Just seen your update.

A relief that both instalation work.

Are you using a USB 3.0 socket?   Happen Linux does not support it,

silofonari

silofonari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

That is good progress.   I would advise you to do the following.

Windows 7 Firewall is OK but you will need some Anti Virus software or you will soon get infected.

I think Avira free, is about the best a the moment, small size and not a system hog, > http://www.avira.com...-free-antivirus

A stand alone on demand scanner.for downloaded files, > https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Tips.

Configure Windows Update to only install critical and important updates.

Use IE as your browser in windows to save space if you installed Chrome, Also needed for some downloads that use ActiveX.

Updates.

1. Intel drivers, > http://www.intel.com...ect?iid=dc_iduu

2  Check if there are any newer MB drivers than the one's you have installed, > http://www.gigabyte....oad-center.html

3, Allow Windows update to run.

Configure a backup strategy. 

Just seen your update.

A relief that both instalation work.

Are you using a USB 3.0 socket?   Happen Linux does not support it,

Wow, seems like you're really willing to give me full system support :D

I'm actually quite sceptic about the use of anti virus software, but I'll have a second look. 

The Windows Update preferences are already set as you recommend it. 

But I'm going to keep using Chrome since I truely hate IE and - even though I hardly use browsing at all on my Windows partition (I do that mostly on Linux) - it's just way more comfortable for me to keep everythin in sync with my Laptop (only running Linux) and even my Android phone. I already disabled IE in the system settings. And after all, disk space really isn't an issue, there's lots of it for my belongings. 

I'll consider the potential updates you linked to. 

USB 3.0 works like a charm, also or especially running Linux. I do all my backup through the Linux partition, it just makes me feel more at ease and I'm 100% in control of what I want to do (also because of the fact that I'm highly aware of how everything works). 

Thanks for your thourough support!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Wow, seems like you're really willing to give me full system support xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.XhpYJIv77v.png

I do like to try and cover all the bases.

Linux rarely gets infected but windows is a different matter,

I agree with your sentiments about both IE and Chrome.

Give us an update in a couple of days and if you are happy and don't have other issues, will mark the topic as solved.

You are more than welcome silofonari.  Good luck. 

Advertisements

silofonari

silofonari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Okay so come to the end in the regard of the problem which is adressed in this thread: everything works fine and I'm so happy you guys figured out how to solve this for me. I still got a couple of questions like the one I recently asked and there are probably more to come, but for when it comes to this thread, everything is solved! 

Thanks again

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.   Good to hear you are happy with how the rig is running.

Topic now marked as solved.