Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Surround sound option not available

• Please log in to reply

Gostchyld

Gostchyld

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

So I'm running Windows 8.1 on a Toshiba satellite L855. My dad kindly upgraded me to 8.1 (without my permission) while he was looking for an issue I had with my wireless access. I haven't used this computer before to play much media, but when I recently tried, surround sound options are not available in realtek audio. The only option available is Stereo. (FYI I just tried to post the screenshot of the settings but this form wouldn't let me). When I had Windows 8, I had other options. There is nothing in the drop down list other than stereo. I recently updated the driver, to no avail. Please advise. 

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Gostchyld,

Laptop only has 2 built in speakers, usually will not give you true surround sound possibly only a virtual surround sound, could well be reason why it only shows Stereo, plus audio source,(e.g. music or non surround)  being used is another reason. Any speaker jacks on this model be orange,black and green? When you listed this Model there should be more numbers after L855, with Toshiba's site few models with L855.

Real surround sound requires 5.1 speakers, 2 front, 2 rear, center and subwoofer. Realtek can differ from the system used on. Need more info, to help more.

Edited by jds63, 28 October 2014 - 01:03 PM.

Gostchyld

Gostchyld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

I have a stereo system hooked up to the laptop, it is not outputting surround sound. Model doesn't really matter in this diagnostic, as the option to output anything other than stereo isn't there. 

Gostchyld

Gostchyld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

I'm using the headphone jack to put sound out. I used to have options in the Realtek preferences, and I no longer do.That is what I am trying to remedy. (no colored outputs on this model). 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I have a stereo system hooked up to the laptop, it is not outputting surround sound. Model doesn't really matter in this diagnostic, as the option to output anything other than stereo isn't there. 

How do you have your stereo hooked up ?

On one model like yours i see this, HDMI output port, Audio Headphone jack (stereo), Microphone jack (mono), SRS Premium Sound HD and laptop has Standard stereo speakers.

Yes there are differences in Model as shows on Toshiba i can not just put in L855 on support site, you try http://support.toshiba.com/

Comes up with all these

Satellite L855-S5112
    Satellite L855-S5113
    Satellite L855-S5119
    Satellite L855-S5121
    Satellite L855-S5136
    Satellite L855-S5136NR
    Satellite L855-S5138NR
    Satellite L855-S5155
    Satellite L855-S5156
    Satellite L855-S5157

So i can't realy see your specs. Have to take one model and assume the rest.

What is shown up top is what i saw on one model.

I'm using the headphone jack to put sound out. I used to have options in the Realtek preferences, and I no longer do.That is what I am trying to remedy. (no colored outputs on this model). 

Headphone jack is Stereo only, we know this. Is this going to your Stereo system ? Said you use to have it working ? When was last time it did ? At first you said,

I haven't used this computer before to play much media, but when I recently tried, surround sound options are not available in realtek audio.

Now HDMI Output can send Video and Audio to another device, a TV and a  A/V Receiver.

Selection might not be there unless a surround sound  5.1 signal is detected, like Dolby or DTS, then has to be decoded. Check through the settings in Realtek's Audio Manager, something could be set wrong or it is the hookup.

Still little confused on how it worked before and how you were using it then, Stereo system or just with Laptop speakers, because there are only stereo speakers.Not saying there is not a virtual surround can be used.

Edited by jds63, 28 October 2014 - 06:22 PM.

Gostchyld

Gostchyld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

I haven't used this computer hooked up to a surround sound system before. I have used the monitor output with the audio jack and had options within Realtek for a surround system before. I haven't taken advantage of it. It's an S5112, Please inform me if that makes any difference in your diagnostic. The option for a surround system is no longer there. That's what I'm looking to get back. Please advise.

Gostchyld

Gostchyld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Are you stating that the use of an HDMI cable is necessary for the surround sound option?

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
It would really help us if you could give us the full model number of your laptop, Gostchyld.
You can easily find it by removing your battery and looking under it. The model string should match the type of the ones jds63 listed above.

Gostchyld

Gostchyld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Its an S5112,

0or are you looking for more info?

Gostchyld

Gostchyld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

L855-S5112

Advertisements

Gostchyld

Gostchyld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

I haven't used this computer hooked up to a surround sound system before. I have used the monitor output with the audio jack and had options within Realtek for a surround system before. I haven't taken advantage of it. It's an S5112, Please inform me if that makes any difference in your diagnostic. The option for a surround system is no longer there. That's what I'm looking to get back. Please advise.

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
There's way too many Sound Drivers listed on the webpage for your laptop's drivers.
Alright then. Can you go in your Device Manager, and under "Sound", tell me the name of the Devices that are listed ? You can add a screenshot if you want.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

This is what i see from specs of this laptop, Ports- Video - RGB - HDMI and Audio - Microphone input port, Headphone output port.

I would advise you as Aura said go into the Device Manager, on keyboard hold Window key + X , select Device Manager. Under Sound, Video and Game Controllers should list this   SRS Premium Sound HD (Realtek) .Should be there if you are getting the Realtek settings in control panel, something might be corrupt.

As stated before it is a sort of Virtual surround through 2 speakers,SRS, look here at what you should see in your control panel  and explanation on this type of sound     http://forums.toshib...-HD/ta-p/352850

I would try to uninstall the driver and reinstall it again. This is the correct driver software according to your model in the spec sheet i saw on Toshiba support site for Toshiba Satellite L855-S5112 

Realtek SRS Premium Sound HD

SRS Premium Sound HD (Realtek)
Version: 1.12.5000
Posted Date: 2012-09-14

Can be found here, if need to re-input the model number and select the above Driver software, download it here    http://support.toshi...reeText=3574883

Unless you find something else within the software in control panel, also un hook anything have hooked to output port on Laptop to try it again. I would try reinstalling.

To uninstall the driver,  first go to Device Manager again, left click arrow to open, Sound,Video and Game controllers, right click the sound drivers and select uninstall.

Then reinstall the driver software you downloaded.

Are you stating that the use of an HDMI cable is necessary for the surround sound option?

No i believe this can only be used to hook to a TV or another display device for Video.

Edited by jds63, 29 October 2014 - 02:50 PM.

Gostchyld

Gostchyld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
For some reason, I'm unable to post screen shots, or any pic (used the snipping tool to no avail, very frustrating). Under sound, video and game controllers there are the following two options:
Intel ® Display Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Aura

Aura

Special Ops

• Malware Removal
  • 2,563 posts
Therefore, from this webpage :

http://support.toshi...reeText=3574883

You are looking for the 3rd driver under "Sound", the Realtek Audio Driver one :

sJiDRhV.png

Do you have any "Unknown Device" listed in the Device Manager ?