Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop extremely slow after reformat and fresh install of Win 7?

• Please log in to reply

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

I just did a reformat and reinstall of my Dell l502x. The computer is now running extremely slow. It is also not able to connect to any wireless network. The reason I did the reformat and reinstall was due to a boot issue ( see this thread http://www.geekstogo...windows-screen/ ).

It's Win 7 Home Premium. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by corn4ahead, 30 October 2014 - 03:44 PM.

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

corn4ahead,

Wow, some post in Malware, went through a lot there. Number of possibilities for a slow Laptop or PC.

Now slow to boot or and also slow in general when already booted using programs ?

1. too many startup programs, at run type MSCONFIG, select startup tab see what is starting with laptop

2. fragmented drive, defrag the drive in properties of drive in my computer, tools tab.

3. Low disk space, use disk cleanup, clean all history, right click drive in my computer, select properties, disk cleanup.

4.upgrade RAM sometimes not enough

5. Some anti-viruses use a lot resources along with what else is running, again in MSCONFIG in services tab

After doing what you did, should run a chkdsk. At start menu slect command prompt, right click and select Run as Administrator :

from a Admin command prompt, copy and paste this in      chkdsk c: /f /r

take some time to run, hour to a few.

After that from same Run as Administator command prompt, copy and paste this in

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Again at a Run as Adimistrator command prompt then copy and paste this in                sfc /scannow

Edited by jds63, 29 October 2014 - 09:17 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

If I can I will also add the question have all the drivers been reinstalled?

How did you do the reformat and reinstall, was it from disks, or from the recovery partition on the hard drive?

If from disks such as those created when the computer was new, have all the disks been used and in the correct order?

Nev.

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

How did you do the reformat and reinstall, was it from disks, or from the recovery partition on the hard drive?

If from disks such as those created when the computer was new, have all the disks been used and in the correct order?

Nev.

I have not updated the drivers. I installed from a bootable USB with Win 7 iso. I deleted all drives on the system and installed as a fresh operating system. 

@jds63

I do not think that is a RAM issue. I have 8 GBs of RAM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Nev.

I have not updated the drivers. I installed from a bootable USB with Win 7 iso. I deleted all drives on the system and installed as a fresh operating system. 

@jds63

I do not think that is a RAM issue. I have 8 GBs of RAM.

O.k. would recommend trying other items listed in my post.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Try this also   http://windows.micro...-troubleshooter

True make sure hardware drivers are up to date, mostly let windows update find them for you. Sound and video devices go to manufacturer's web site of those

devices or laptops manufacurer's web site, now that to reinstalled windows 7, most are outdated.

Edited by jds63, 30 October 2014 - 04:07 PM.

corn4ahead

corn4ahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

So I did all this and finally thought I was getting somewhere. Then I ran the windows updater since I was still missing a lot and it was still sluggish. Well now my nightmare has started over. The laptop is getting stuck on the starting WIndows screen again.

See this thread http://www.geekstogo...windows-screen/

That issue started when my computer restarted for a Windows update as well I think.

What is going on here?

EDIT: I may have been overreacting. It seems to still be updating. It just kept getting stuck then restarting etc.

Edited by corn4ahead, 16 November 2014 - 09:48 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

corn4ahead,

Welcome back,

When or if it finishes it's updates maybe will correct any problems, may have to put up with it till it finishes. Important to the system it gets all these updates as many fixed issues in Windows 7, then there are service packs too.

If this gets accomplished i would try this again if you had not from previous posts   http://windows.micro...-troubleshooter

Do the mentioned items in post # 2 here of mine, can skip upgrade RAM and virus scan in that post but try all others, most likely need to run a chkdsk again since you reinstalled your Operating system also tell us if drive is failing in anyway, tell you how to post results, run System file checker and DISM in that order.

I would go to Dell's site and update all new drivers for your system which you never did yet   http://www.dell.com/...s-l502x/drivers

Could be hardware related or drivers.