Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

possible to use a NAS system as a DAS system?

• Please log in to reply

Keman

Keman

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

I literally had no Idea where to ask this sorry.

Anyway, at the place where I work (family business and I am basically the IT guy) I am looking into putting in place a data backup program of sorts. We have about 10 comps and a server, they are all networked together. I think in the future I would like to set the backup as Networked (NAS style, probably just RAID 1)

As for now I was wondering if it was possible to use a NAS system like the SynologyDS212, as a DAS system where I would just take it around to the computers once a week and more or less manually back up what ever files are needed with a program like Syncback that will automate the process a bit.

I guess what my ultimate question is can I use a NAS housing device like the Synology with two HD's in it like any basic external hard drive? so I can back up to it DAS style, then at a later date change it over to a NAS system.

Any and all help you can provide in this matter will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Dustin

Edited by Keman, 31 October 2014 - 01:46 PM.

Advertisements

CCWTech

CCWTech

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Dustin,

Are these computers on the same network? I'm just curious as to why you don't want to use it as a NAS.

I think what you are asking is possible. I am just trying to understand your goal a little better.

Keman

Keman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

yes they are all on the same network, the reason I do not want to set up as NAS right off the back it because I am not really sure how its done mainly and I am not even sure what can be backed up on a comp, over a server. someone here recently got that cryptoware virus and lost some stuff because of it, I was able to mostly get back anything that was important and return stuff to normal with a clean install.

The virus did spread to a drive that I had mapped to that computer from the server. the server it self was being backed up on a regular basis to another drive within it self but it actually backed up the corrupted files over the good ones so that was kind of useless there. ><

Anyway this has really made me want to start backing up Files not just from the server but from everyone comps. so I kind of just wanted to get the equipment and at least get one back up of everything. if something like that happened to one of the main computers it would be bad. :/ so yeah I know I can back stuff up DAS no problem so was going to start off that. just for my own piece of mind.

CCWTech

CCWTech

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

If it were me, I'd back it up over the network with the NAS. You are right, if cryptolocker hits, it will encrypt those files as well, however if you use a different AV than is on the NAS (I think they use the Clam AV engine, not 100%) you have a good chance of not getting it.

Your best bet is to use a cloud service that has versioning. It's backing up all the time. If you get hit just restore the version of the file prior to getting the virus. As far as backing up to the NAS, that's pretty straightforward.

Keman

Keman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

"Your best bet is to use a cloud service that has versioning". If by cloud service you mean backing up to a server that is online "in the cloud". Call me old fashion but I will never use a "cloud" service I prefer to have the data backed up to something I physically own.

So, if I am going to go with NAS right off the bat as my first option I guess I need to ask a stupid question. Is it possible to back up files over a network from places like a computer's "my documents" folder and "program files" folders. I assume there is a way and that that is something I will have to delve more into once I get the equipment and getting started on this task.

Looks like my next course of action is to buy a simple 2 bay hard drive housing device along with a pair of drives to go into it. something along the lines of WD Red's or maybe something from Seagate and then take on the daunting(in my eyes >.>) task of setting it all up.

Edit: also I did not understand this -  "You are right, if cryptolocker hits, it will encrypt those files as well, however if you use a different AV than is on the NAS (I think they use the Clam AV engine, not 100%) you have a good chance of not getting it."

When I got the crypto virus it was not able to spread over the network to things simply networked together. It only spread to any drive that was mapped to it. so it did effect a few files on the server but only through that mapped drive. 

And when you say AV, you mean antivirus??? so Clam is an antivirus engine that shouldn't be used with the NAS? 

Sorry if I misunderstood something, it happens ><

Edited by Keman, 03 November 2014 - 11:38 AM.

CCWTech

CCWTech

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Keman, I am having trouble tracking your question. If you could use the quote feature on the forum to separate your responses it would allow me to help you better. Take a look at this link which explains some of the features available for formatting.

http://www.geekstogo...lp&do=01&HID=23

Call me old fashion but I will never use a "cloud" service I prefer to have the data backed up to something I physically own.

If you are not comfortable with an online backup service, that is fine, but you will want to make sure whatever backup program you are using allows for recovery of different versions of the file. I suggest cloud services since they are automatic, inexpensive, and most have the versioning feature. Many backup programs which back up to a local (or network) drive do not have that feature. Since you mentioned cyrptolocker, it was a suggestion to better prepare you for disaster recovery.

Edit: also I did not understand this -  "You are right, if cryptolocker hits, it will encrypt those files as well, however if you use a different AV than is on the NAS (I think they use the Clam AV engine, not 100%) you have a good chance of not getting it."

What I am saying is that most good anti-virus programs are only 95-98% effective. While you never want to run two anti-virus programs on a computer, as they will slow performance and possibly conflict with each other, it is okay (and suggested) to run anti-virus on your endpoint, as well as on the NAS. With two different products (which have different definition files) scanning your data, it may increase the odds of blocking a threat. It's my preference to have a cloud backup do this for me, as it also serves the purpose of being an off site backup. I do understand your concern about control of your data. Just be careful to investigate the software you use to back up your files so you are familiar with all of the features it offers.

And when you say AV, you mean antivirus??? so Clam is an antivirus engine that shouldn't be used with the NAS? 

Yes, Clam AV is an anti-virus product. I believe it's the one used by Synology since you mentioned the DS212. You would want to run something on the NAS as well as the endpoint as explained.

Please do not worry about misunderstanding. I am here to help. If you have any questions at all, please let me know and I will do my best to communicate some options you can consider. It's a pleasure to be of service.

Keman

Keman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Well my original question is no longer valid, you talked me into going with NAS right off the bat.

I guess as far as questions go the only ones I would have would be.

Is it possible to back up files over a network that are stored anywhere on that PC? And if there was any brand of hard drives you would personally recommend? Besides that I guess I should be able to figure it all out.

You have helped clear up my thoughts on this, and for that I thank you.

Dustin

CCWTech

CCWTech

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Is it possible to back up files over a network that are stored anywhere on that PC? And if there was any brand of hard drives you would personally recommend? Besides that I guess I should be able to figure it all out.

Yes, depending on the software you use to do the backup. This would vary vendor by vendor.

As far as hard drives, I would stick with one that Synology has tested. See this link: https://www.synology...ompatibility/hd

I am glad to hear I have helped. It's my pleasure to be of service.