Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compter locks up durring start up and login (Resolved)

BSOD c0000135 freeze crash

• Please log in to reply

MarCylinder

MarCylinder

• Pip
  • 2 posts

The last time I used my computer, it ran normally, I hadn't installed any programs, and I had a normal shutdown. I went to start the computer again later and after the BIOS said "loading operating system", the screen went black and I had to force shutdown.

The next boot got me to a screen recommending I run the startup repair utility. It was unable to fix the problem and the search for solutions yielded no results.

The next couple of boots I was able to get to the login screen, and even saw my wallpaper for a few seconds once. But the computer would always lockup before it finished loading the desktop.

The last failed boot took me to a bluescreen with the message "Stop: c0000135 The program can't start because %hs is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix the problem."

I found a handful of fixes online, but none of them pertained to me. Some of these fixes included checking the ControlSet001 and ControlSet002 keys in the registry and ensuring the "Windows" values had the correct information. They had the correct values. I also checked for a ZeroAccess infection. This yielded no results. I also ran an FRST scan and as far as I can tell, there is nothing noteworthy. I can post this log if anyone is interested in seeing it. There was a fix I found that recommended modifying the RegBack folder in some way, but this folder does not exist on my computer. Also, I unplugged any unnecessary peripherals.

I was able to boot into safe mode. I tried disabling any programs or services on startup that weren't 100% necessary. This yielded no results.

Computer specs:
-Windows 7 64 bit
-Intel i5 2500k @ 3.3Ghz
-8gb DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
-Gigabyte motherboard, don't remember the model #.
-2 X EVGA 570 HDs in SLI (I have tried with and without the SLI bridge; had no effect.)
-300Gb Velociraptor
-750Gb Seagate Barracuda
-1Tb Western Digital black edition
-850w Silverstone OP850
-some basic Creative soundcard

If anybody can recommend anything other than wiping the hard drive, it would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:     MarCylinder,

If you are able to boot into Safe Mode ok it often suggests a driver issue, have you tried a restore point that is before the issue first happened, see below;

Boot into Safe Mode.

Navigate to the Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools program group.

Click on the System Restore program icon.

Click Next > on the Restore system files and settings window.

Choose the restore point that you want to use.

Check the Show more restore points checkbox to see more than the most recent restore points.

Any restore points that you created, scheduled restore points that Windows 7 created, and those created automatically during the installation of certain programs will be listed here. 

Click Next >.

Click Finish on the Confirm your restore point window to begin the System Restore.

Note: Windows 7 will shut down to complete the System Restore so be sure to save any work you might have open in other programs before continuing.

Important: System Restore will not revert any of your non-system files like documents, email, music, etc. to a previous state. These types files are completely unaffected by System Restore. If your intention with this tool was to recover a deleted non-system file, try using a file recovery program instead of System Restore.

Click Yes to the Once started, System Restore cannot be interrupted. Do you want to continue? dialog box.

System Restore will now restore Windows 7 to the state that was recorded in the restore point you chose in Step 4.

Note: The System Restore process could take several minutes as you see the "Please wait while your Windows files and settings are being restored" message. Your computer will then reboot as normal when complete.

Click Close.

Check to see if whatever Windows 7 problem you were troubleshooting has been corrected by this System Restore.

If the problem still persists, you can repeat the steps above and choose another restore point if one is available.

Can I ask if you have a Windows 7 or system restore disk, if the above does not resolve the issue SFC (system file checker) may do and you are sometimes asked to insert the disk when SFC encounters an error that it cannot fix automatically.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

MarCylinder

MarCylinder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi, and thank you for the very helpful reply. I'm sorry it' taken me awhile to get to responding. I did end up solving this problem, and the issue was unusual. I simply pulled out my RAM and put it back in. For some reason, the RAM was no longer completely seated in the ports. Again, thank you for your time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

No worries, glad you got it sorted and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup:

FWIW: Reseating the Ram and the add on video card can often resolve issues for various reasons, one such reason is the contacts (gold finger) on the memory stick or card can sometimes become dirty, reseating the card/stick reestablishes a good contact and voila all is well again,

A job well done on your behalf btw and you are most welcome  :)