Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Boot Win 10 with Win 7

- - - - - tech preview

• Please log in to reply

ProgramGeeks

ProgramGeeks

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

I am trying to dual boot windows 10 with my current OS windows 7. I shrunk the volume of my C drive by 80,000 MB and then when to install windows 10. I choose the custom install and slected the drive then selected new to create the partition. It then comes up with windows can not be installed on this disk because it is GPT partition type or something like that. Can someone please help me

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

See here: How to Dual Boot Windows 10 with Windows 7 or Windows 8

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

A bit old.

However. I shall try to explain.

When you choose to Install Windows 10 (In the setup part, where you select your disk) hit Shift + F10. That should bring up a Command Prompt > Type diskpart > Type

List Disk (Please note the Space, and spelling of DISK) > Select Disk X (The size of your, which will be around 74400- 80,000 Mb's > clean > convert GPT.

After that, Reboot and attempt the install again. (Please note, chose the right disk, I learned the hard way. If you select the wrong Partition anything on it will be deleted...)

Chrunos

Chrunos

• Pip
  • 3 posts

in this case, you have to convert your hard drive from GPT to MBR before you can install Windows 10. Since you have windows 7 on the same drive, which I suppose you don't want to reinstall your windows 7, you can not do the conversion with windows built-in tool Disk Management. I suggest you use AOMEI partition Assistant to convert GPT to MBR. after conversion, you windows 7 will remain bootable.

leafwarbler

leafwarbler

• Pip
  • 9 posts

You need to convert GPT to MBR. You can directly use Windows Command prompt:

Open CMD>type "disk part", Enter >type "disk list ", Enter >" select disk 1", Enter >" clean", Enter > "convert mbr ", Enter

Finish the whole process. But this way would delete your data, so you should backup your useful data.

If you do not want to be so complicated, you can use 3rd-party tool. MiniTool Partition Wizard is a good choice. CONVERT GPT TO MBR function can help you, also it is convenient and easy to operate. In the whole process, you do not need to worry about data loss. P.S.: Because MBR can not support more than 4 partitions, so if you need merge the more GPT partitions.

AnonDom

AnonDom

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Wouldn't suggest you dualboot windows 7 and windows 10.. basicly you will endup with bottlenecks.. just get or wait for 10 or keep 7

Germenglish

Germenglish

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Wouldn't suggest you dualboot windows 7 and windows 10.. basicly you will endup with bottlenecks.. just get or wait for 10 or keep 7

How would you end up with bottlenecks and what do you mean by that? 

You are either in one OS or the other...