Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk usage 100% RAM usage 74% Processor 3% when idle

• Please log in to reply

highramusage

highramusage

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi, I have been adviced by the user Malware Removal to ask further in the hardware forum. My machine has been checked for malware, and nothing was found.

Asus SonicMaster
500 GB HDD
4 GB RAM
Intel i5 1,7 Ghz (runs at 2,2 Ghz in Task Manager)

From Task Manager when idle:

Processor 1-3%
RAM 74%
Disk 0 100%
Disk 1 0%

Sometimes Disk 0 falls from 100% to 10-12% in a short time span, but 95% of the time it's at 100%. This makes it impossible to maneuvre with out any lags, running videoes, etc.

I have run chkdsk /f /r wich did not solve anything.

I have disabled most of the processes in Task Manager.

I have increased virtual memory from 4 GB to 12-16 GB.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by highramusage, 01 November 2014 - 12:39 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Hello highramusage,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s, this includes your choice of AV software AVG which is a known hog on system resources that slows down a computer while not being as good an AV programme as it once was.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

highramusage

highramusage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thanks for the answer.

While trying to open my published speccy link i have twice gotten a fatal error. The first time KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and the second time PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. The KERNEL error is about the third in just a week.

highramusage

highramusage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

After two fails with Chrome, i tried IE wich worked fine. Here is the speccy link:

http://speccy.pirifo...zuhadjc2kDCnb8D

highramusage

highramusage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

The second i posted the above message, my laptop froze yet again. This time: BAD_POOL_HEADER. (This error also recieved with Chrome).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Two things of note from the Speccy results: Your pagefile is set too high and you are running low on free storage space on the C: partition that has Windows on it;

Physical Memory

Memory Usage: 40 %
Total Physical: 3,89 GB
Available Physical: 2,32 GB
Total Virtual: 27 GB
Available Virtual: 26 GB

Partition ID: Disk #0, Partition #2

Disk Letter: C:
File System: NTFS
Volume Serial Number: E21DAE65
Size: 186 GB
Used Space: 162 GB (87%)
Free Space: 24 GB (13%)

Your pagefile should only be 1.5 xs the physical amount of Ram that you have so should be 6GB or so and the partition that has Windows on it should have at least 20 to 25% available at all times so you need to free up some space asap, see below for further information on this + how to change the size of the pagefile;

Please note that in order to avoid data corruption and/or mechanical HDD failure for data only HDDs you must always have a minimum of 10% of the HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space and between 20 and 25% of a HDDs overall storage capacity available as free space if the OS is on it, the free space allows for information to be copied to and from the drive efficiently and it reduces the risk of the OS being overwritten/becoming corrupted by a simple task such as installing a Windows or a third party software update.

Not having the above can render a computer inoperable if the HDD concerned has the OS on it due to the MBR (Master Boot Record) becoming damaged/corrupt, please see information @ http://pcsupport.abo...sterbootrec.htm

Open My Computer. At the top right, there is a search field...type pagefile.sys and click the search icon. In the search results, right click on the file (pagefile.sys) and choose Delete...confirm the deletion.

Restart your machine. A new pagefile will be created automatically when the machine starts, please check the size that has been set.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

highramusage

highramusage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Thanks, i could not find the pagefile.sys, but manually set new virtual memory. I also freed up disk space as recommended. Thanks.

My disk runs quite much better now, and the freed up disk space seemed to be the most critical factor.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

Aye the virtual memory moves data from the Ram to the paging file and in turn moving data to and from the paging file frees up the Ram allowing it to complete the task/s that it has been set, perhaps I should have explained this earlier  :blush:

Glad to hear that things are running better but give it a couple of days and then let us know how things are, unless you need to post back sooner that is  :thumbsup:

You are welcome btw  :)