Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphic card overheats, computer crashes..

Nividia geforce gt 640

• Please log in to reply

Avalanche9

Avalanche9

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Hi, I'm having some problems with my graphics card.. I'ts a Nividia GeForce GT 640.  

My desktop crashes every time I start certain games, Sims 3 and Sims 4. It just shuts down after 5-10 minutes of gameplay. I've downloaded Speccy, and It's the graphic card that overheats. It's usually at 50 some degrees, but as soon as I start a game it shoots to 89-93, and then shuts down. Even on Low graphic settings.. when the temperature reaches 70 the fan(or a fan, cant see the graphic card one) gets louder, but I't doesn't help at all. Just had the computer to repair cause of this. and that it was making a lot of noise. They cleaned it out so the noise is gone, but this persists, and now the warranty has expired.  

The computer is about one year, and the sims 3 worked fine last fall, even on high settings..

Hope someone here can help, let me know if you you need any more information!

Cheers

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

AVALANCHE9,

Sure the fan on card is always working, do you have any other case fans? If so check if they are working. If they worked on it once already it was not tested by them, the card ? Could be bad fan or bad card or ventilation problems something has changed. Also being that the card was possibly full of dirt and dust it could have damaged the card then, over time.

Games will stress the card more then desktop graphics.

Sim 4 seems your graphics card does not meet rquirements well  http://www.systemreq...temId=12305&p=r

Sim 3 is better for it. Always check system reuirements for games before purchase. Do not know if this is what casued it to happen, could of been the dust over time ruins fans.

Do you have anything that is obstructing you computer from airflow or have you moved your computer into a tight space such as underneath a desk or next to a wall.

Try this free program speedfan  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php  Post a screen shot here for other members to also look at that know even more, even about voltage readings too.

Edited by jds63, 04 November 2014 - 03:48 PM.

Avalanche9

Avalanche9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Thanks for the reply!

The model is: Asus Desktop Pc CM6731_CM6431_CM6331 Series if that helps.  It Used to sit under a desk, but now it's ventilated. I have never opened the case, so hard to see anything, though the two fans I can see seems to work fine. I took some screen shots from Speedfan, not sure if this is what you wanted screen shots of, let me know if you need others. Was only running chrome at the time, let me know if you need screen shots etc from when the sims is running.

Speedfan1_zpsd0953925.jpg

speedfan2_zps593e0214.jpg

speedfan3_zps0f34fbc6.jpg

speedfan4_zpsf54ae486.jpg

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Avalanche9,

Well 51c seems quite warm for a card that is not being stressed much just with a browser open. Room temps and ventilation around PC can make differences. Looking at the CPU temp is not too high.

For same resons you brought this in for repair once before and most likely cause was due to too much dirt and dust on fan of Graphics card or other fans, could of most likely damaged it already.

But i do not want to assume it yet. It is getting overheated, possible something else like CPU too. Also mentioned that Sim 4 requirements was above your specs on card, so would only stress the card more since there is an issue already.

Like to have another tech here look at this for you, he is quite good.

Edited by jds63, 08 November 2014 - 02:38 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello folks,

Avalanche9,

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

Next, restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V readings and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it would suggest a PSU problem.

Your computer specs here, the other two models are not shipped with a GT 640 video card fitted, not impressed with the PSU that has been used and would seriously consider upgrading it to a 500W bronze rated unit asap.

Avalanche9

Avalanche9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Thanks Guys!  

HWmon_zpsd6559bd9.jpg

How beneficial would a new PSU be, and how easy would it be to install for someone that's never done it before?

Bios:

Temp:  CPU: 36c   MB: 39c

Voltages:

+3.3v: 3.360v

+5v: 5.160v

+12v: 12.192v

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Welcome,

Let PhillPower take a look at this first. New PSU not to hard to install even if never did it before, sure we will give you guidance if this is needed. Beneficial if need more power to run hardware in system or if this one might be bad of course.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Nothing of note in those readings other than the GPU reaching 50C when not under load, see how the card copes with a burn in test, details here

Regarding the PSU, we never suggest that anything is replaced unless it is proven to be bad but the stock PSU in your computer looks lame when listed by ASUS as 350 W Peak.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Still felt something wrong with that card, since was brought in for repair found with possible dust and dirt.

Specs show o.k. for 350W http://www.geforce.c.../specifications

Probably same PSU i had in my ASUS similar model, changed when i bought a better card.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

The card is a 3GB OEM one jd and so Nvidea do not provide the power requirements ASUS do  :thumbsup:

Specifications here

Note: The below specifications represent this GPU as incorporated into NVIDIA's reference graphics card design. Graphics card specifications may vary by Add-in-card manufacturer. Please refer to the Add-in-card manufacturers' website for actual shipping specifications.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Oh, o.k. misunderstood thought that card was added by OP, Reread your post before, wow 3GB huh, not bad although !!

Link you provided still doesn't let you know PSU wattage needed as you say ASUS should provide, but where ? Figure should be the same NVIDIA Chip from my link and they put a 350W PSU in it, then show alternative cards for this system with that wattage in ASUS link you showed of OP Model ....Hmmmm...

Also commented on games being used as one exceeded the requirements of the card in question, possibly further causing damage to it. True it is warm under no stress, know room temps and ventilation can play some factors on it.

Edited by jds63, 11 November 2014 - 04:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

ASUS will have ensured that a 350W PSU would be adequate to power the card, my concern is the description that ASUS provide about the stock PSU that is fitted in the CM6431 that Avalanche9 has: Power Supply 350 W Peak, this suggests that the PSU will in fact not be putting out the 350W that even the 2GB version of the card requires, a good quality brand PSU would be ok but ASUS have most likely used a cheap generic imported PSU to keep costs down.

JAFYI: Game Debate has benchmarked the card a few times and they quote a recommended 400W PSU that supplies 20 amps on the +12V rail, example here

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

What you really need to see is the Amps on +12v rail for this 350W PSU which just going to ASUS site is not going to show you that. My PC came i am sure with same PSU 350W know i took it out replaced it with my first upgraded card then, mine is CM6730.

Game i was inquiring about with OP was Sim 4 not Far Cry 4, by the way. http://www.game-deba...game=The Sims 4

[email protected]

[email protected]

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Check the Origin game settings. Open the Sims 4 Properties box and configure the options properly.

1. Double click Origin desktop icon.

2. Right click Sims 4.

3. Select Properties.

4. Add this- -w und

5. Click OK.

Need more details then visit here.

Thanks & Regards,
Dani Joseph,
Research Sepcailsit,
USA.