Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

"Secure Connection Failed" Message

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger64

Webslinger64

• PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

This started happening about a week ago.  Several websites I routinely go to are giving me this message.  Not all the time, but it's becoming more frequent.  The worst is with my gmail account.  I have Google set as my home page on Firefox.  When I open a browser the top right corner gives me several options (+You, Gmail, Images, Sign In, etc).  Normally, I click on the Gmail link and it takes me right to the user name and password screen for Gmail so I can sign in.  Every time I click on the Gmail link now I get this message:

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to mail.google.com. You have received an invalid certificate. Please contact the server administrator or email correspondent and give them the following information: Your certificate contains the same serial number as another certificate issued by the certificate authority. Please get a new certificate containing a unique serial number. (Error code: sec_error_reused_issuer_and_serial)

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

I have searched online for a solution and found a few resolutions, but none of them apply to my situation.  The most common seems to be an erroneous date and time on the computer.  Checked that and it is correct. 

I thought the problem might be with Firefox itself, so I did a Firefox reset, but that didn't work either.  I have also wondered if a virus or spyware program can cause this issue.  Ran Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware and Avast Antivirus scans, and they were all good.

I can access my e-mail and these other websites on the PC that's sitting on a desk next to mine (both PC's are on the same network), so I'm pretty sure the websites themselves are not the issue.

Unsure if it could be an issue with my OS, Windows 7 Professional x64.

I'm stumped. 

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Reconz1182

Reconz1182

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Try to Reset Firefox, This usually help's on most occasions.

How to reset Firefox:

• Click the menu button and then click help .
  • From the Help menu choose Troubleshooting Information. ...
  • Click the Reset Firefox… button in the upper-right corner of the Troubleshooting Information page.
  • To continue, click Reset Firefox in the confirmation window that opens.

Edited by Reconz1182, 15 November 2014 - 01:31 PM.