Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive Swapping

• Please log in to reply

Leave it to beave

Leave it to beave

• Pip
  • 5 posts

I had an 2011 Sony Viao until the plant on my desk and it got watered at the same time, needless to say it was up and running. Not anymore. The motherboard got roasted in a couple of spots, namely around the USB and all other media input jacks. The drives work as well as the fan although the latter did get damp. The HDD is a Toshiba 500 gb MK5059GSXP and the DVD drive is a 2011 H&L Super  Multi DVD Rewriter model GT3ON (ASYK1NO). Now question 1 is "Can i swap the drive from the Sony into an old HP XP3-PRO so i can either use it or at least recover the data and apps that were on it" And 2 "Is there anything else that can be done to recover data should it not be possible to use the HP" And finally "Can anyone recommend a site where i might be able to find a replacement motherboard." i've tried a few sites but they seem to be hard to find for VIAO PCG-71C12L Product Name- VPCEL13FD. The MB is a Sony Z50-BR MB or Sony MBX-252. I Would really appreciate any and all input to these issues, thanx

Leave it to beave

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Bit puzzled beave as I note the following from your previous topic here

removed the HDD and inserted it into an HP--XP-Pro SP3 and ran diagnostics and it came up clear of any errors except that it wasn't able to restore the computer to an earlier date.

Have you again tried the HDD in the HP computer.

Regarding a replacement MB, they are available but depending on where you are in the world the shipping and taxes involved may make the option financially unviable, the costs are less if you fit the board yourself but if paying a tech expect to pay a significant amount, again this will often make replacing the board over costly.

Leave it to beave

Leave it to beave

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanx for the reply on MB phillpower2. No i'll be doing the install myself----if i can find one. Pretty rare item it seems. Any thoughts? Have been searching China of late. But now the project is to make a dual bootable, or dual OS system  (partitioned ? or not) on the XP3 laptop. (It is upgradeable for Win 8.1) . That's my hope anyways.

the beave

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

New and tested MBX-252 MB here (purchasing anything from China is a gamble)

Did you run the Upgrade Assistant to confirm that the HP notebook is capable of running Windows 8.1 (just checking as you said it was old) .

If the notebook is capable of running 8.1 you should have no problem installing it to its own partition because XP is already installed, this is how a dual booting MS system needs to be set up as in the older OS must be installed first to avoid problems with the boot manager.

Please note that it is most important that the HDD has adequate space on it for the installation of 8.1, a partition size of 120GB will allow for the fresh installation + all of the present and future security updates that will need to be installed.

You are welcome btw the beave  :)