Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hp Laptop cant conect to wifi and speakers audio comes and goes

• Please log in to reply

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hi Geeks I have this old laptop with windows Vista and it cant connect to wifi and some times it doesn't detect the  audio device either I try to reinstall windows but I don't have any recovery disc and it seems the laptop don't have the option to recover the system I keep pressing F11 to recovery and nothing and I cant uninstall the webroot applicacion  to install  Microsoft essentials

I try to install all the drives for the audio and wifi card but no luck.

some times the audio and controller don't even show in the device manager..

I try to uninstall webroot using appRemover but it not even see it in the system

any help would be appreciated thank you

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello x_LUIS_X,

Can you tell us the model name or number of the HP so that we can try and find the drivers for you.

Do you still have the product code sticker for Vista, it may be on the base of the notebook or beneath the battery.

Post a screenshot of Disk Manager for us, details below;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hello phill thank you for your help and time..

and yes i have the Product key, The laptop is a HP DV9500 S/N# CNF74368P5

diskManager.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello x_LUIS_X,

Thank you for the additional information  :thumbsup:

The drivers for your notebook can be downloaded to a USB thumb drive or burned to a disk from here, be sure that you choose the correct version of Vista as in 32 or 64 - bit.

Good that you have your product key but I suggest that you run The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder to confirm that it is the same as the OS that is presently in use, the reason that I suggest this is because your screenshot shows that there is no HP Recovery Partition** on the HDD and so it is possible that the HDD has at some time been fully formatted and you therefore need to make sure that the original product key was used or that you make a note of any alternative used, The Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder (free) available from here, please do not disclose any product keys to other people.

** Recovery disks may have been provided as an alternative, not common since the days of XP though.

You can download to a 4GB or larger thumb drive/burn to disk a Vista ISO from here using the tutorial provided courtesy of Ztruker

The ISO is not for you to do a fresh installation btw (unless that is what you would like to do) it is in case it is needed to do a Repair of the present OS + you should have one in case of HDD failure etc.

You are welcome btw  :)

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hi phill I donwloaded those drives before most of them and nothing happen i still have the same  problem..

I downloaded the Magical jelly bean and i have the product key on a txt. file and created a windows vista ISO disk..

do you think ill be better to reinstall all windows vista i would like to do a fresh install but i didnt know i could do it  without the recovery partition

a question. how can we know  that the wifi card is damage

I know the speakers are working because the sound comes and goes from day to day

so thats why i will like to do a fresh installation only if you think is best choice thank you for your time

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Luis,

If this is a hardware issue reinstalling Windows will not resolve it I`m afraid.

Product key and ISO details acknowledged, we will come to them if needed.

I would not reinstall Vista at present but if you decide you wish to we will help you with this, no recovery partition is required for a fresh install but Vista would be best installed to it`s own partition on the HDD, again we would help you with this.

The closest that you will get with checking the wireless card is by looking at the cards properties in Device Manager, any yellow !, red X or the card reported as not installed or working, what does the wireless switch show, is it turned on, if there is a wireless LED light is it lit up.

The sound coming and going could be a loose speaker wire so if you have or can borrow some external speakers for testing purposes it would help.

You are welcome btw  :)

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hi Phill  will leave the installation for last.

and about the wireless card it seems to be fine no problems in the device manager and up to date driver the led is blue meaning is on orange when is off..

the speakers they not even show in device manger I have a set of speakers  I have connected the headphones and nothing I cant play nothing because it says that no audio device detected

what else can we do?

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hello Phill today I took apart the laptop to check the speakers conections to the motherboard and they are fine I unplug it and plug it again and nothing

I try to install them via device manager add legacy hardware and now they show in device manger with a yellow marker I try to update the driver put is up to date....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Luis,

If we can just look at the wireless issue for a moment and then come back to the audio afterwards  :thumbsup:

The information provided suggests that the wireless device may actually be working, can I ask if you have set up a wireless connection with this notebook before or is this the first time, if it is the first time the article here may help.

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

hello phill and try to connect to my wireless network and the laptop cant detect any wireless network I use Lan for the driver search

I have 2 other laptops connected to my home network

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Hello Luis,

Have you checked that the network card is enabled in the BIOS.

Go into the Device Manager, right click on the network card and then uninstall it, shut down the notebook, while the notebook is turned off disconnect the Lan, restart the notebook and see if Windows detects and then reinstalls the wireless device, let us know how it goes.

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hello phill

I uninstall the Broadcom 802.11/b/g WLAN and at restart it install the drivers but it not detect any wireless network :no:

you know what lets focus on the audio problem if that is ok with you

because the internet I can use the Lan but the no audio its frustrating I hope you understand..

Edited by x_LUIS_X, 09 November 2014 - 09:02 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you Luis,

Download then run Speccy and post the resultant url for us please, details here this will provide information about the hardware and software that is installed.

If you are using Windows own media player try VLC which you can get for free from here

x_LUIS_X

x_LUIS_X

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

hello phill here is the link  http://speccy.pirifo...3Atb2MQEuoK3IBc

and yes i have installed the vlc player but no sound

I installed the driver and now it shows in device manager

but it has a yellow esclamation mark it says the device cannot start code 10

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

**Try the MS Fix it from here meanwhile I will take a look at your Speccy report.

Thanks for the url btw Luis  :thumbsup:

** Do this first please.

Speccy detects both the wireless and audio device which could be a good sign, we will come back to them shortly though, see below;

You have two AV programs in Microsoft Security Essentials and Webroot Secure Anywhere Business, this may be the cause of the wireless device issue but is less likely but not impossible to be the cause of the audio problem, both issues aside are you aware that having two AVs installed will actually leave you at risk of malware attack, this because the two programs will conflict as they fight for resources and this can leave you unprotected, one or both could also be blocking your internet access.

Were you aware that you had two AV programs installed.

I personally would get rid of Webroot and keep MSE which is not only very good but also free and regularly updated.

To get rid of Webroot;

1: Boot into Safe Mode.

• Click Start, or the Windows icon.  In the Search field, type "appwiz.cpl" (without quotes), then press Enter on your keyboard.
2: Select Webroot SecureAnywhere, then click Uninstall/Remove.
3: Confirm any messages regarding uninstalling the program.
4: Once the uninstall process has finished restart the computer in Safe Mode with Networking, test and post back with an update.

Edited by phillpower2, 12 November 2014 - 06:02 AM.
Updated reply after looking at Speccy report.