Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen during gaming, fan(s) 100% (Solved)

• Please log in to reply

infrayellow

infrayellow

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V
CPU: Intel i5-2500K @ 3.4 GHz
Memory: 2x 4GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800 Crucial
Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560Ti (1024MB)
Bios: 3603
PSU: Antec TruePower 550W
CPU uses a ''Turbo Boost'' technology (overclocks itself to 4.3GHz) although everything is set to default settings. Nothing was ever overclocked manually.

The black screen of death:

Whenever I play any games - from World of Warcraft, to Thief (2014) to Alien: Isolation to Kerbal Space Program - about 5 mins to an hour (up to 3, even 5 hours on occasion) into the game the screen suddenly goes black the sound gets distorted/looped and most of the time (but not always) the CPU fan (at least I think its the CPU's fan) graphics card fan starts spinning at 100%. I have also noticed some LEDs on motherboard light up, but I have no idea what any of them means, so I never payed much attention to them.

At this point all I can do is to hold the power button to shut it down, since the hard reset button isnt even responding.

When I turn it back on, it sometimes starts normally and other times just starts and immediately (like after 1 second) shuts down and then back on again. [in like 20-30% of the cases right at this point it tells me that ''Overclocking failed: Press F1 to enter setup''. I enter bios and get out without changing anything.]
After that it proceedes to the screen where it asks me if I want to start in safe mode and I always choose normal and after that it loads Windows and starts searching for solution which of course doesnt find. And after that its as if crash never happened.

It NEVER crashes while searching web, watching movies, using any kind of software like movie or picture editing etc. It never even happened when I was running BurnInTest, FurMark and some other stress tests. It crashes purely randomly I would say, I havent noticed any rule that would lead to it. even when I thought I have, I later discovered I havent really.

I have formatted C: drive a couple times and tried new drivers and the older ones. PC is 4 years old I think and this all started 1,5 years ago when I went on vacation for 2 weeks and unplugged the whole thing out of the wall, something i always do before i go away for more than a few days.
I have also checked disk for errors using windows Error-checking tool and checked RAM using MemTest86.
Temperatures are all below 40°C under heavy load (CPU, Mobo, case) except graphics card ~80°C and thats apparently normal for this type of graphics card so i have read. Case is clean too. My main suspect is PSU or motherboard but Im no pc expert really so I have no idea what it is. Any help is much appreciated and most welcome.

Cheers.

Edited by infrayellow, 10 November 2014 - 02:20 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:    infrayellow,

Good troubleshooting on your behalf  :thumbsup:

Your GPU while not maxing out should not be allowed to run that hot for prolonged periods or it will weaken the card.

Can you tell us the exact model of the 550W PSU it is that you have (there are 3 or 4 versions) provide a link if you can.

I would like to take a look at some temp and voltage readings first (details below) can you then remove the add on video card and use only the onboard video for testing purposes;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

infrayellow

infrayellow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Woah, thank you for such a quick reply phillpower2!

ok, I did some tests and Im sending screenshots.

I dont know the psu exact model, it just says Antec TruePower 550W [TP-550] on it. Its as old as my pc ~4y Id say.

It may be this: http://www.hitechleg...50-power-supply

http://postimg.org/image/8lucxhum3/  idle

http://postimg.org/image/4186ikawr/  cpu stress 10 mins

http://postimg.org/image/pxupixo3f/  burn test 10 mins

I hope these screenshots will work. Room temperature was 22°C.

Edit: The GPU temperature never gets that high in games. Like I said, its around 80°C.

Edit2: The SpeedFan shows some wrong readings imo. It shows +12V as 6,6V and the cpu temp is also wrong.

I trust ASUS sortware that came with the motherboard more than other programs so I screenshot that too. :upset:

Edited by infrayellow, 06 November 2014 - 05:08 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Don`t wish to appear pedantic but can you attach the screenshots as described in my reply # 2

You are welcome btw  :)

Offline for a few hrs now due to work commitments but back around 6pm UK time or before.

infrayellow

infrayellow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Heya,

Im at work now, until 22:00, so I guess I wont be able to upload those screenshots until very late, or tomorrow even.

but Im keeping an eye on the thread and will reply asap. Thanks for the effort.

Later.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries, reply when you are able to  :thumbsup:

Just so that you are aware that it is not me being awkward, the attachment steps that I provided is the preferred method as it can be both time consuming and problematic downloading attachments from elsewhere, also keep in mind that we have to deal with spammers and other undesirables who are not averse to dropping dodgy links into threads.

Valid point about the ASUS software but Speedfan and HWMonitor can provide us with valuable information that monitoring software can`t  + you cannot grab a screenshot of a systems BIOS only the monitoring software that is running.

infrayellow

infrayellow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hello,

so there are the screenshots I made (salvaged) from the tests I did yesterday. I hope these are fine.

As you can probably see, in the first 2 pictures the machine is idling, while on the other 2, its on heavy stress.

Regards.

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan idle.jpg
  • HWMonitor idle.jpg
  • speedfan burn test.jpg
  • HWMonitor burn test.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Couple of high temps, one CPUTIN = CPU Temperature Index CPUTIN is different from CoreTemp, CoreTemp is the sensor on the processor while CPUTIN is motherboard CPU temp sensor and the TMPIN4 which can be the North/Southbridge, both suggest that the MB is getting too hot, how many case fans do you have and where in the case are they located.

The PSU although stated to produce 550W is possibly underpowered for your GPU which requires 500W and 31 amps on the +12V rail, if you check the PSU database link in my sig you will note that the TP 550W PSU does not produce the required power output, the older model only produced 288W when tested and the TPll produced 432W, a PSU that is being overworked will generate more heat and weaken + at 4+ years old it has passed its best and certainly any warranty period.

Out for a few hrs again shortly but will check back later, it would be good if you could borrow a known good PSU from somewhere for testing purposes + if you can, take off the side of the case and direct a desktop cooling fan so that it blows cool, clean air into the case then test out and check your temps again.

infrayellow

infrayellow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

CPUTIN is 60°C all the time it seems. Its never 61 or 59. That, imo, means the HWMonitor's readings are wrong. I have 3 fans for the case. 1 in front, 1 on the back and 1 on top of the case. Also, psu gets air directly from the outside (bottom) of the case. As a matter of fact, I will take a picture of it. As for the PSU, Im not able to borrow any. I could go buy a new one. Any store would probably agree to refund my money if I tell them its for some testing purposes for a day or two. Already called one and they said they'll ask, but probably could do that. Anyway, I think THIS http://www.realhardt...s/Page16354.htm is the PSU that i have. My case below. Laterz mate.

Attached Thumbnails

• rig.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Very good/helpful pic and an ideal cooling arrangement  :thumbsup:

The PSU that you have is one of the newer bronze rated TP 550W PSUs that has/had a 5 year warranty and while it is not impossible the chances of it being the cause of the issue are reduced somewhat.

Sounds like you have a decent tech store close at hand which will be helpful if needed.

I suggested back in my reply #2 the following;

can you then remove the add on video card and use only the onboard video for testing purposes;

Before going to the time and trouble of swapping out the PSU first try removing the add on video card and then test out the PC and check the temps again

If the issue is resolved reapplying thermal paste to your add on video card may be in order, an example guide here

As an asides, regardless of whether we disagree with the HWMonitor and or Speedfan readings they do need to be taken note of, both report the GTX 550Ti temperature at 99C which is the max safe temp for the card, specs here for convenience.

Advertisements

infrayellow

infrayellow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hmm, ok, so I have removed the video card and ran computer to take the two screenshots of SpeedFan and HWMonitor (I'll post it below) but I dont know if thats (graphics) the issue until i run a video game, which I cant - because I cannot run video games on onboard integrated video card. I've talked to a friend though and I'll drop by his place in a couple of days to try his graphics card. Are you able to exclude a piece of hardware from the info you have by now perhaps? That would mean a lot to me, but only if you're 100% sure. Anyway, thanks for your time and expertise regarding this. I'll talk to you soon.

Attached Thumbnails

• SpeedFan onboard graphics (idle).jpg
  • HWMonitor onboard graphics (idle).jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I understand that you cannot game on high settings so run Furmark or try running the IntelBurnTest which you can get from here

You will note that since removing the add on video card other temperatures have dropped with the AUXTIN and SYSTIN being the most noticeable, AUXTIN is the power supply temp sensor if there is one while SYSTIN relates to the MB, this suggests that the high temps of the GPU was also affecting your other hardware, at present that is as close as we can get to pinpointing the cause of the issue I'm afraid.

Should have asked earlier, are you manually overclocking.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

While Phillpower2 is abed, a couple of questions.

I have also noticed some LEDs on motherboard light up, but I have no idea what any of them means, so I never payed much attention to them.

Please watch for those LEDS again.  

On Boot, if Windows fails, any LEDS?

Any LEDS when you get the black screen?

Is the DRAM LED blinking when Boot starts to Loop?

Are the TPU and EPU switches on the MB, in the Disabled, (Default) position?    Pages 16/17 of the user Manual.

Have you performed Clear CMOS routine? 

infrayellow

infrayellow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

hello iammykyl,

so.. first things first. I got NEW PSU today (SL-700W). I've replaced it and ran a video game and it crashed after 30 mins. So imo, that excludes the PSU.

About those LEDs.. Im gonna have to crash the system again and pay attention to the LEDs, but Im omw out right now, but..

one thing I know for sure is that TPU is [ON] and EPU is [OFF].

Also, when PC crashes, I did notice RAM LED to turn on, but I cant remember if it was blinking or not.

I didnt perform Clear CMOS routine (dont know how thats even done, or what it does tbh)

thank you, later

Edit: to answer previous post - nothing is manually overclocked. Graphics is ''OC'' version and the processor uses its ''turbo boost'' thing, but I never touched ANY clocks, voltages, anything..

Edited by infrayellow, 10 November 2014 - 08:56 AM.

infrayellow

infrayellow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

So..

I crashed the system again. RAM LED turns on just for a second or two and then it turns back off. there are 2 more LEDs that I noticed turning on:

- CPU LED - it turned on and back off in a second or two,

- BOOT_DEVICE_LED - turned on and stayed on while the system was crashed,

- VGA_LED - it turned on and back off in a second or two.

I have also noticed, that IT IS NOT the CPU fan that goes 100%, but the graphics card one.

I'd say its the GPUs fault in a heartbeat, but the thing that bugs me, is that it never crashes on say furmark stress test and its much more brutal test than videogames that i play.

Anyway, I'm getting a new graphics card tomorrow hopefully, to test it out and see.

laterz

Edited by infrayellow, 10 November 2014 - 03:16 PM.