Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Print head carriage jam Kodak AIO Hero 7.1

• Please log in to reply

supersadie

supersadie

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi

I have a seemingly insoluble jam with the printhead which sticks left and won't move into the centre.

I thought it was a sticky up label on the top of the cartridge causing the problem as the printer worked after I removed that. Now nothing works.

I have turned the printer on and off with the button and by removing the cable. I've tried gently pressing all around and under the carriage. Nothing makes any difference. I would be prepared to do some dismantling if I knew where to start.

There is (supposedly) a button beneath the carriage which will release it, but I haven't managed to locate it, if it exists...

Many thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Hello supersadie,

Are you getting any error message/s on the printers control panel/LED screen.

The sticky labels on the cartridges should not be removed btw.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

supersadie

supersadie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi

Alas too late with the label :)  I'm getting the standard 'printhead carriage jam' error message and 'code 3527'.

All the info online and from Kodak itself is about removing obstructions (there are none).

There is talk of some block or spring beneath the carriage that if pressed will release it, but I can't find it. 

Some people have managed to disassemble the thing but I can't see an obvious way to do that.

Hope someone can help..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Can the carriage not be moved manually by using a gentle but firm wiggling motion, if it can, move it all the way to the left, turn on the printer and do the whole press Home and then Maintenance etc routine, if the carriage does not move to the centre it suggests a broken gear which is beyond the average user repair due to availability of parts etc.

Regarding dismantling the printer, are you sure that it is worth the hassle.

supersadie

supersadie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

The carriage is stuck in the left hand position and can't be moved more than half a centimetre to the right. I'd be surprised if it were a broken gear because it's been working intermittently. Except now it seems permanently stuck...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

If not a broken gear then I can't think of anything else that would stop the carriage from moving, if it were sticking because of dried out ink moving it that half a centimetre should release it, have you read the thread here that lists two possible solutions, one at either thread btw.

As an asides, I considered purchasing a Kodak printer last year and am I glad that I didn`t, they have terrible reputation for poor reliability, expensive ink and non existent customer care, no wonder that they went bankrupt.

supersadie

supersadie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks. I'll be sure to check the threads out!

Yep. I don't think I'd have Kodak again either. Used to have HP but inks were so expensive...I think Canon are the ones to go for...is that right?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts

Canon and then Epson + if you can get a laser one cheap all the better.

You are welcome btw and let us know if you have any luck moving the carriage.