Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Studio Slim beep beep

Dell Studio Slim RAM

• Please log in to reply

marcortez

marcortez

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

More often than not, the above PC will start up ok but the monitor will not fire up.

I get a "beep beep" from the PC.

It has power and the "on" button is alive and well.

Before I had taken out the monitor connection on the back of the PC, reinserted and got the monitor to fire up.

Now, with doing that same thing, the monitor refuses to fire up.

Turning the PC off and on does not do the trick either. The monitor just won't fire. I has power and the connections are tight.

I read an old post (2011) that it could be the RAM module is the culprit.

Not sure if that is still relevent or not, with the passage of nearly 5 years.

I cannot get the monitor to fire off so using the PC isn't happening for anything.

Using a laptop now to write this.

I have the service tag number, but should I post that number on an open forum?

Thank you

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Does the monitor work on another computer? 

marcortez

marcortez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Does the monitor work on another computer? 

No other PC handy to check that Spyware.

What's up with the 2 beeps?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

1) The laptop doesn't have an external monitor port?

2) https://www.google.c... slim "2 beeps"

marcortez

marcortez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

1) The laptop doesn't have an external monitor port?

2) https://www.google.c... slim "2 beeps"

No external monitor port on this Dell XPS laptop.

I have seen that 2 beeps question before, meaning the RAM is not detected....your question about test the monitor on another PC tossed me for a loop.

# 1 solution/fix would be to pull the RAM modules and re-insert?

Would the RAM not being detected be a cause of the monitor to not fire up and display?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

1) How to connect Laptop with HDMI to External Monitor with DVI-D

2) One way to determine if the problem lies with the computer or monitor is to connect the monitor to another computer. If it works, then you know computer is the problem.

3) Yes, and you might repeat several times in an attempt to clean the contacts.

4) A computer must have RAM (Random Access Memory) in order to think. Without it, and it simply would not be able to send out any kind of an intelligible display signal to a monitor. And yes, this would be one of the reasons why a properly connected and powered up, working monitor would display a "No signal" error message.

marcortez

marcortez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

1) How to connect Laptop with HDMI to External Monitor with DVI-D

2) One way to determine if the problem lies with the computer or monitor is to connect the monitor to another computer. If it works, then you know computer is the problem.

3) Yes, and you might repeat several times in an attempt to clean the contacts.

4) A computer must have RAM (Random Access Memory) in order to think. Without it, and it simply would not be able to send out any kind of an intelligible display signal to a monitor. And yes, this would be one of the reasons why a properly connected and powered up, working monitor would display a "No signal" error message.

Fail......

Now the PC will not even fire off after I took out and replaced one RAM module!!

I had that problem before....the PC would not fire up at all...even with a green power light "on", on the back of the PC.

Sometimes power on.....sometimes no.

I passed that off as more of an external supply (110v) problem vs a PC problem. I am in Mexico.

What do you recommend for a NEW PC?.....

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
marcortez, on 06 Nov 2014 - 2:42 PM, said:

Fail......

Now the PC will not even fire off after I took out and replaced one RAM module!!

RAM is particularly sensitive to ESD.

What's the budget? New PCs range in price from ~$199 into the tens of thousands ... dependant upon things like the software you intend to use and how fast you want it to run, how much storage space you need, optical drives, audio and video requirements, etc., etc., etc.

Edited by SpywareDr, 06 November 2014 - 02:27 PM.

marcortez

marcortez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Fail......

RAM is particularly sensitive to ESD.

What's the budget? New PCs range in price from ~$199 into the tens of thousands ... dependant upon things like the software you intend to use and how fast you want it to run, how much storage space you need, optical drives, audio and video requirements, etc., etc., etc.

Home use only.....surfing

No gaming.....DSL connection

Intel i-5 minimum, 8 gb RAM..under 1TB of storage...standard video/audio card, CDRW, standard modern inputs (about the same as the dead Dell I have now)

Win 7-8 although I hear bad things about 8?? What say you?

Under $600 clams

DELL? Acer? HP?......others?

I don't have the patience to monkey trying this and that on a fix. I would rather bite the bullet and get a new one

Thank you for your help....

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

http://www.dell.com/...on-3847-desktop

?

Advertisements

marcortez

marcortez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Is this the same thing other than Win 8.1?

$450 @ newegg vs $600 at Dell.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883156025

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Pretty close. The one on Dell's site has a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5-4460 compared to Newegg's 3.10 GHz 4440, and of course the most obvious: Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. (Yuk! They'd have to pay me to use 8.1. ;)).

marcortez

marcortez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Pretty close. The one on Dell's site has a 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5-4460 compared to Newegg's 3.10 GHz 4440, and of course the most obvious: Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. (Yuk! They'd have to pay me to use 8.1. ;)).

In your vaunted opinion......why nix on 8.1?

Edited by marcortez, 07 November 2014 - 11:03 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Since I'm neither a kid or a monkey, I do not need BIG buttons. ("Me want banana!"). ;)

Touchscreen devices are more suited for consuming content, keyboard and mouse for creating it.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi marcortez, to back up what SpywareDr has said, if you have not yet seen or been able to use a computer with Windows 8 or 8.1 installed, some people would say you are lucky.

In essence Microsoft tried to do the impossible by incorporating an operating system that should only have ever been put on mobile hand held devices and then try to make it work on a desktop.

You can run it entirely by keyboard and mouse, but it is hard work, however trying to run a desktop computer on touch screen is also  hard work, (I tried a touch screen, it just isn't suited to desktop or even really laptop operation)

In short, most folks who have tried it, and a lot have, will tell you it is a long and new learning experience to be able to get any real use out of it, yet at the end of all that, it isn't in any way a better system than the easily worked with Windows 7 except perhaps when new it might load and boot up a little quicker.

If you can get a computer like the one linked to with Windows 7, get it while you can, there are no more being made as Microsoft have stopped selling Windows 7, and did so last weekend.

Nev.