Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Studio Slim beep beep

Dell Studio Slim RAM

• Please log in to reply

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Windows 7 Pro is still availabe.

Nasdaq.com > Microsoft (MSFT) Ends Windows 7, Windows 8 Retail Sales

Microsoft Corporation announced that it has officially discontinued the retail sales of some versions of Windows 7 and 8 to clear the path for the newer versions of the operating systems (OS).

Microsoft had stopped selling copies of the Home Basic, Home Premium and Ultimate versions of Windows 7 from Oct 31 through original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) and now discontinued sales of Windows 8 as well.

Therefore, the recent announcement leaves consumers with just one option of Windows 8.1 till it releases the next update, Windows 10 in late-2015. Windows 8.1 will now be offered as the default version on laptops and PCs for sale.

Windows 7 Professional can still be purchased through Microsoft's Downgrade Rights at an additional cost and with limited availability. OEMs can still sell PCs pre-loaded with Windows 8 and Windows 7 Professional over the next one year.

Advertisements

marcortez

marcortez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Well thanks fellas.....

I HATE, deep, deep hatred of touch screen anything.

My learning curve went out with that last bottle of Jim Beam.....and my patience factor is zipola.

But what is beyond me is why is an older operating system (win 7) another $100 over the latest and greatest? (win 8.1)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

But what is beyond me is why is an older operating system (win 7) another $100 over the latest and greatest? (win 8.1)

Supply and demand. ;)

marcortez

marcortez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Ok Doc......now that i am in the market for new PC...what say you on Acer?

Same config as that Dell.......but $100 clams less.....Newegg.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Hmmm, at $100 less . . . six of one, half a dozen of another. ;) 

IOW, if money were an object, I'd grab the Acer. <shrug>

marcortez

marcortez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hmmm, at $100 less . . . six of one, half a dozen of another. ;)

IOW, if money were an object, I'd grab the Acer. <shrug>

Dell "sounds" Americanish, but they too are made in China right?

Taiwan China puts out nice stuff...as does South Korea.

Opps...make that a $50 clam difference....Acer/Dell @ Neweggers.

Edited by marcortez, 08 November 2014 - 11:31 AM.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Dell is one of the largest technological corporations in the world, employing more than 100,000 people worldwide. Most of the work that used to take place in Dell's U.S. plants was transferred to contract manufacturers in Asia and Mexico, as well as to some of Dell's own factories overseas, (two of which are in Poland and Ireland). They also have their Miami, Florida Alienware facility and continue to produce servers in their Austin, Texas plant.

More info here: http://www.dell.com/...rp1/our-history

Edited by SpywareDr, 08 November 2014 - 11:58 AM.

marcortez

marcortez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Thanks Doc....

That's all well and good about Dell, but is there a marked difference in reliability and functionality over a more expensive Dell, than there is say a Acer or Asus?

My now toast Dell Studio Slim, which is about 6 years old, died prematurely it seems.

Is a 5 to 6 year life span about the norm? Would one particular brand be more stable over it's life than any other?

Does one brand use better components than any other?

It is the components that make the difference right? No matter the label on the front.

I live in a dusty area, more so than say suburban America, and the reliability of the electric supply is, lets say not equal to suburban America as well.

There are more frequent outages, albeit getting better, than on the "other side"

I don't want to throw the Dell in the trash just yet, and am wondering if a change out in the RAM modules to new ones might do the trick?

If nothing else, I can have a spare. Where I live, having a backup is wise. One cannot just stroll into the local Best Buy and walk out with a new PC, or even components that have died.

I have to travel 1000 miles one way to get to my USA shipping address for any and all internet orders. To ship to Mexico involves far too many loops with customs and the reliability of shipping here is lacking. Not to mention the added costs involved.

About removing and installing RAM modules....is it a good idea to use a di-electric grease to lightly "lube" all those contact points? Or would that simply attract more dust?

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

In my experience, most Dell's outlive their usefulness. I've thrown pallets of them away that were actually still working. They were so old they were no longer worth upgrading . . . cheaper to buy new.

I purchased and setup a little Dell Inspiron 530S running XP for for a friend in early 2008. Recently replaced the noisy power supply, maxed out the RAM, installed a larger hard drive and put Windows 7 Pro on it. That's what, almost 7 years old and they're still quite happy with it.

All of my electronic equipment is plugged into UPS's ... even here in the U.S. They lower the risk for damage due to sags, surges, brownouts, spikes and outages.

Trying some known-good RAM modules in your Dell is definitely worth a try. As far as the di-electric grease, IMHO, it's not needed. You can lightly rub the RAM contacts with a pencil eraser to clean off any corrosion, (darker color). Be sure to wear an ESD strap so you don't accidentally zap anything.

marcortez

marcortez

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Do those "surge" power strips work for sudden on/off power supply?

Or are they just a "strip" with multiple outlets? :headscratch:

FYI......I ordered that Dell we were discussing earlier. Your lack of comments one way or the other on Acer or Asus sold me on a Dell.

Where do I send your commission?

Did not order from Newegg though.

They blocked my card, as I forgot to connect my VPN. Some places are very sensitive to foreign ISP's.

So Amazon it was.....they NEVER block me. :spoton:

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

marcortez, on 09 Nov 2014 - 3:30 PM, said:

Do those "surge" power strips work for sudden on/off power supply?
Or are they just a "strip" with multiple outlets? [ :headscratch:]

No, they do NOT protect against sudden power outages like a UPS. Some power strips advertise that they do protect against a surge. Of course they often do not tell you if that is more than one surge. :(

FYI......I ordered that Dell we were discussing earlier.

Congrats! Hope you thuroughly enjoy it. :)

Your lack of comments one way or the other on Acer or Asus sold me on a Dell.

Oops. I own Acer and Asus laptops, as well as Dell monitors and am happy with 'em all.

Where do I send your commission?

:D R-i-g-h-t. If you're serious though, sending something to the Red Cross would make me happy.

Did not order from Newegg though.
They blocked my card, as I forgot to connect my VPN. Some places are very sensitive to foreign ISP's.
So Amazon it was.....they NEVER block me. [:spoton:]

Amazon fan here as well.

Let us know how you like it when you get it up and running.

BTW, don't forget to get all available Windows updates, install an antivirus like Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast or AVG, (just one). and then an antimalware like MalwareBytes . . . that's the bare minimum.