Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

No sound coming from speakers

• Please log in to reply

nhall3

nhall3

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: ;) I'm not the best with computers, however, here is my delima. There is no sound coming from my speakers when I try to listen to wmv and other file types. The speakers are on and plugged in correctly. The volume controls in the lowere right corner are not on mute (and they are turned completely up). To ensure the speakers weren't the problem, I tested them on my little DVD player and they were fine. What could the problem be?

Advertisements

ballistik kevin

ballistik kevin

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
do you have the drivers installed for your audio?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Do you have audio/speaker ports on both the front & the back of the computer, or just at the back?

nhall3

nhall3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes the drivers are installed for my audio. The port is in the back of the computer. When I remove the green plug you can hear little popping skeaker noises like it wants to work. I've had the speakers for a about 4 months and they have been working just fine . I'm not sure what's wrong.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, so am I right in assuming that :
1. The speakers are definately working when attached to something else
2. The speakers used to work on your computer on the same port that you are trying to use now (ie speakers/computer/sound card have not changed)

If so, has anything else changed? Such as a reinstall of windows, new third party software installed, problems with any other applications or other hardware etc...?

nhall3

nhall3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes ma'am to the first two questions. No, I haven't installed anything new nor have I done anything unusual.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Try running dxdiag, to see if it detects any problems with the audio codecs/drivers etc

nhall3

nhall3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I ran the program and these are the messages I rcvd:

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 19 (User verification of software): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (error code)
Music Tab: DirectMusic test results: All tests were successful.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

I'm not sure what to do next or how to fix it.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Can you tell me exactly what sound card you have (make & model)
Whether the card is onboard or pci?
Also what video card do you have?

cheers