Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to check har drive health please?

• Please log in to reply

AuraTodd

AuraTodd

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi I'm using windows 7 and sometimes when I use Chrome or Explorer to visit Facebook, my pc will work for a while then become sluggish and then freeze. yesterday was a nightmare and I couldn't get the cursor to move or anything, so I had to reboot the tower. Now i am worried I may have damaged the hard drive, is there a free tool or something that can test whether the hard drive is wearing out etc?

Many thanks.

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi AuraTodd,

Please try this and post the results:
  • Click on Start > Run and type in cmd
  • Press Enter
  • In the Command Prompt window type chkdsk c:/r (or copy and paste) and press Enter.
    Please Note the space between k c:/r
  • The next dialog box will now show the following:

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
    process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be
    checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>
  • Type Y and reboot the computer.
  • Checkdisk will start once the computer reboots. It can take up to an hour or more to complete as it goes through the stages. Allow it to run uninterrupted till complete.
To find the log that is produced please do the following:

Please download ListChkdskResult by SleepyDude to the desktop.
  • Double click on the icon and click Run
  • The log will appear on your desktop as a .txt file and the notepad will open.
Please copy and paste the results in your next reply.

Thank you,

Donna :)

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi Donna, just so you are aware :-

http://www.freepchel...9367#post109367

I was going to ask him to run Speccy and post the report till I saw this post here, however after the disk check, if nothing conclusive, Speccy might show a bit more.

To me, it sounds more like an over full hard drive rather than a faulty one, however we shall see.

Nev.

AuraTodd

AuraTodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

it sounds more like an over full hard drive rather than a faulty one

How do I check for that please?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Please follow the advice from DonnaB first, that will check the hard drive itself, we will look into other things later.

Nev.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Thank you, Nev. :)

Hi AuraTodd. Yes. Let's eliminate the possibility that your hard drive health is at fault, then Nev can follow through with his plan.

Donna :)

mikes2014

mikes2014

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi There,

Sounds like you could have a faulty hard drive,your looking for software to check health of your drive try Crystal Disk very easy to use and very handy to have but try what others said first before trying mine!

AuraTodd

AuraTodd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Hi I checked the clear catch in Chrome.  Have been using Adblock plus as an extension.  Do you think it could be that, that's doing it please?

mikes2014

mikes2014

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Hi

If its chrome that your having problem i would suggest unistalling it and reinstalling it.

Start,control panel,program and features remove chrome then reinstall it sounds like you could have virus but you would need to give more info on whats happening,try what others have said first and if that doesnt work try what i said!

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Backing to your first post:

when I use Chrome or Explorer to visit Facebook, my pc will work for a while then become sluggish and then freeze.

Are you having the same problem no matter which browser you are using?
Does this happen only on Facebook?

Try all your browsers and not just on Facebook. What are the results?

Still, I would run chkdsk as I suggested here to eliminate that possibility if you are experiencing issues with all browsers on other sites.