Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

pc really slow

• Please log in to reply

cbfakias

cbfakias

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi in the past 2 years i wasn't home for many months and had left my pc to my sister.She wasn't downloading anything and she only played sims 3 which i think it made the pc slower because she was doing many things to sims 3 and made it "heavier".Whenever i was home for some days i noticed the change to the speed of pc and everytime it was worse.Also if i used the pc after my sister playing sims it was very slow.My opinion it might be a problem with my hard drive cause its only thing that's too old in my pc..The strange thing was that i could play games with ultra setting etc for example i used to play company of heroes 2 max graphics with no problem and now i have it in low and sometimes i lag.

Here is my pc setup

CPU:Intel core i5 2500

MOBO:ASUS P8H67-M PRO

RAM:8 GB

GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

PSU:Dont remember brand but had more than enough power to handle this system if you want i can check it

When i say slower don't misunderstand it like in startup slow it just can't handle programs as good as before it may be because of time..but it all started after sims 3.

The one and only program i have active is antivirus

If there is some else info you need to know let me know, thanks in advance.

Advertisements

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

I'm assuming that you're using Windows? If so which version of Windows are you using?

Have you tried defragmenting your computer? Especially if you've been away for a while, fragmented files can severly slow down a machine. My preferred defragmenting tool is Defraggler (https://www.piriform.com/defraggler) but the built in disk defragmenter that comes with Windows should also do the trick.

Also there may be a possibility of malware, even if your sister didn't download anything. Certain websites can install malware just through clicking something. So I wouldn't rule that out completely. Which antivirus program do you use?

What in particular makes you think that this is a hardware issue?

cbfakias

cbfakias

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

I'm assuming that you're using Windows? If so which version of Windows are you using?

Have you tried defragmenting your computer? Especially if you've been away for a while, fragmented files can severly slow down a machine. My preferred defragmenting tool is Defraggler (https://www.piriform.com/defraggler) but the built in disk defragmenter that comes with Windows should also do the trick.

Also there may be a possibility of malware, even if your sister didn't download anything. Certain websites can install malware just through clicking something. So I wouldn't rule that out completely. Which antivirus program do you use?

What in particular makes you think that this is a hardware issue?

I am using windows 7 sp1

I defrag some times but i will do a defrag right now 

i use microsoft security essentials

Well i don't know if its a hardware issue i'm just making a guess that it might be my hard drive cause its way older than the other stuff in my pc but i am not sure...I chose this forum with this thought ,i may be on wrong forum.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

I am using windows 7 sp1

I defrag some times but i will do a defrag right now 

i use microsoft security essentials

Well i don't know if its a hardware issue i'm just making a guess that it might be my hard drive cause its way older than the other stuff in my pc but i am not sure...I chose this forum with this thought ,i may be on wrong forum.

Let me know if the defrag helps.

As for the antivirus, I've had poor experiences with MSE. It's detection and removal rates aren't the best, but to each their own. If you're looking for a good free alternative maybe try Panda Free Antivirus (http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/). If you intend to pay for an antivirus, I highly recommend Bitdefender (http://www.bitdefender.com/). Regardless of what you use, any antivirus benefits when paired with Malwarebytes Antimalware free edition (http://www.malwarebytes.org/). It finds just about everything and is a great "every so often" scan tool. I'd definitely see if it finds anything suspicious. If it does, then I'd get a log and go to the malware subforum and get help from one of the pros.

It could very well be that your hard drive is just old. It happens. Although I've had hard drives that have lasted over 15 years (30GB, 5400RPM). Maybe run a chkdsk and see if it finds anything wrong with your hard drive. Click the start button and search "cmd" without the quotes. Right click on the program and select "Run as Administrator". Then type "chkdsk /f /r C:" without the quotes and press enter. It will prompt you to ask if it should be run on the next reboot, type "Y" and press enter. Reboot when you're ready and see what it finds. Just curious but how much free space do you have on your drive? 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

We can see how much free space you have, please do the following.

cbfakias

cbfakias

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Let me know if the defrag helps.

As for the antivirus, I've had poor experiences with MSE. It's detection and removal rates aren't the best, but to each their own. If you're looking for a good free alternative maybe try Panda Free Antivirus (http://www.cloudantivirus.com/en/). If you intend to pay for an antivirus, I highly recommend Bitdefender (http://www.bitdefender.com/). Regardless of what you use, any antivirus benefits when paired with Malwarebytes Antimalware free edition (http://www.malwarebytes.org/). It finds just about everything and is a great "every so often" scan tool. I'd definitely see if it finds anything suspicious. If it does, then I'd get a log and go to the malware subforum and get help from one of the pros.

It could very well be that your hard drive is just old. It happens. Although I've had hard drives that have lasted over 15 years (30GB, 5400RPM). Maybe run a chkdsk and see if it finds anything wrong with your hard drive. Click the start button and search "cmd" without the quotes. Right click on the program and select "Run as Administrator". Then type "chkdsk /f /r C:" without the quotes and press enter. It will prompt you to ask if it should be run on the next reboot, type "Y" and press enter. Reboot when you're ready and see what it finds. Just curious but how much free space do you have on your drive? 

Didn't notice any difference with defrag.I changed to avast antivirus did a full scan and nothing found.Malwarebytes found many things though xxxxxxx i didn't take any action i just did a scan and post it here if i should clean them let me know

The disk check found one bad cluster in acrobat and fixed it everything else was ok

Gday.

We can see how much free space you have, please do the following.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

Edited by cbfakias, 09 November 2014 - 02:13 PM.
Malware log removed as not used outside of malware removal forums.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Didn't notice any difference with defrag.I changed to panda antivirus did a full scan and nothing found.Malwarebytes found many things though xxxxxxxxxi didn't take any action i just did a scan and post it here if i should clean them let me know

The disk check found one bad cluster in acrobat and fixed it everything else was ok

It looks like you have plenty of free space.

From the looks of it, you have a lot of PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs). Do any of your internet browsers have a different homepage than you set? If I remember correctly, Crossrider, OutBrowse, and GlobalUpdate are Adware and Spamware. Basically they can dig hooks into your computer to install more of the same kind of things. I'd head over to the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum to get sorted out. I'd help you with the particulars on this but only Staff members are allowed to help with Malware related items. Here's the link to the guide on how to get started. http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Good call hazard209  :thumbsup:

Hello cbfakias,

As has been suggested check the system for malware and if needed with the help of the experts on those forums, GTG malware redirect information below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

cbfakias

cbfakias

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

No the only thing that is extra in my browser is adblock cause i hate when stuff pop up when i browse and i always check for toolbars etc when i install something...I will do what you suggested and let you know

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Thanks for the update and good luck  :thumbsup: