Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive beeps, not seen by computer

• Please log in to reply

jholla

jholla

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Details of computers I have tried the drive with: all Win7, all with decent specs, all with internet connections to get drivers.  I can provide more details if desired.

My problem has been occurring for a few months.  When I connect the device to the computer, through SATA or USB, it makes a rapid beeping sound for a few seconds, then is silent (see my link).  Sometimes my computer will make the noise it makes to signal it has found a new flash drive/cd/external hard drive when I plug it in, but this doesn't always happen.
The hard drive is not noticed by BIOS, Windows Explorer, or Device Manager, but it does show up in Disk Management.  In Disk Management it is supposedly "working properly."

Things I have tried to fix it: connecting with USB cable to multiple computers; data recovery programs (all the ones I've tried require the drive to be recognized by Windows Explorer); connecting it via SATA to multiple computers; using usb cords from other external hard drives.

No professional or invasive recovery has been attempted.

Things I have not tried but have heard of/am considering: freezer trick (put hard drive in freezer and data can be accessed while it's cold); drop trick (dropping it on the ground); shaking (rapidly shaking the drive back and forth using the wrist, along the axis of the disk's rotation); making a mock-cleanroom and investigating.

What I have speculate the problem to be:  I see a lot of talk on the internet about clicking with regards to hard drives, but my drive doesn't click - it beeps.  Based on what I've read from pages like this, it could be a problem with the spindle.

What I am willing to do: I am willing to destroy the drive - I don't care about the warranty. I have a couple hundred gigs of music, videos, word docs, and photos, but nothing essential. If you are going to suggest professional services, please understand that I won't be interested in paying more than one or two hundred dollars, so that probably won't be an option.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:welcome:   jholla,

You will hopefully be pleased to hear that we will not suggest that you pay out hundreds of dollars, drop kick or freeze the drive.

There is possibly a problem with the HDD itself but it could also be the USB port on the HDD housing, if this is the case you could remove the HDD and use either a USB or HDD enclosure to see if you can access the drive.

You mention that you have tried Windows based recovery software, we will suggest an alternative if you let us know which way you wish to proceed as in testing the drive or data recovery first, I suggest that the latter is done first as testing a flaky HDD can cause it to fail completely.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

jholla

jholla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have removed the drive from the plastic casing. I have also removed the SATA-to-USB converter piece that sits inside the casing. I have then connected it to (multiple) computers via a SATA-to-USB cable, which plugs into the computers' USB drives. Didn't do anything.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. What would you suggest I try next?

BTW: I don't know if this is what you meant, but I have connected the drive to my computers at least a couple dozen times since it stopped working, trying one possible solution or another.  Are you saying this will probably have damaged the drive?

Edit: I apologize, I meant to say that the drive does show up in Device Manager but not Disk Management.

Edited by jholla, 09 November 2014 - 10:07 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Have you tried the following.   Be sure to turn off the PSU and take anti static measures before working on a computer. 

Connect directly to a SATA port from the MB use a SATA cable and a SATA power cable? then see if it is detected in the BIOS, Device Manager and Disk Management.

jholla

jholla

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I have not connected it to the motherboard with a SATA cable. I don't have a SATA cable.  I see they're pretty cheap on Ebay.  I'll order one.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You will have a spare SATA power plug from the PSU.   You can temporally disconnect the SATA signal cable from the DVD and connect to the HDD and if it does work, then buy a cable as you may need the Optical drive while troubleshooting. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Have you solved your problem yet, or need more help?   An update would be appreciated.