Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with Start up (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hello,

I have a problem with the computer. Whilst watching a video, my computer stopped and everything froze. I shut the computer down and on start-up it brought me to this screen:

"

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer,

2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next,"

3. Click "Repair your computer,"

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

"

I placed my Windows 8.1 CD in the drive but it didn't do anything.

Then I found that pressing F8 while it is booting I can choose where to boot it from.

Now the several things I done:

I tried to run from the CD and repair the computer - it didn't work.

I put the windows key in when it asked me for it to try and install? - it didn't work

Several times I turned the computer off and on but it just leads me to the screen about a problem.

I pressed F8 and ran from the SSD (where windows is installed) and this is the only one that seems to work, however I done a system restore and it said that it was successful but when I restart the computer, it still leads back to the problem screen.

I done a system restore but it still brings me to that screen when I boot up.

I tried to repair the pc by which I had to reinstall the programs I was using before but after restarting, it still leads me to that screen again.

Any help please?

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

Hello Vinceroman,

I pressed F8 and ran from the SSD (where windows is installed) and this is the only one that seems to work, however I done a system restore and it said that it was successful but when I restart the computer, it still leads back to the problem screen.

Can you explain what you mean as in did the computer boot straight into Windows.

By the description that you give above it sounds like the boot order is not correct in the BIOS, have you checked it and if yes what is the present boot order.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hi,

When I press F8 there is a list for me to choose of where to boot from, I press the down button twice so on the 3rd one where the Microsoft Windows is installed in the SSD card.

I will restart now and have a look through the BIOS of the boot order

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts
Microsoft Windows is installed in the SSD card.

Just to clarify, do you mean Solid State Drive such as this  as opposed to one of these

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Hi,

Solid State Drive as in this, I think it may be solved now as I changed the boot order. I don't think it was changed from the beginning so the boot order for the past 5-6 months have been wrong. We will see though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

Thanks for the update  :thumbsup:

Hopefully the issue is now resolved and confirm this for us if you will when you are happy that it is.

JAFYI: The reason why I asked you to confirm the type of device was because you said Windows was installed in the SSD card as opposed to an SSD (solid state drive) and an increasingly popular way of installing Windows nowadays is by downloading a Windows ISO to an SD card and installing Windows from that.

Vinceroman

Vinceroman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Oh I see,

I didn't know that was possible but thanks for the input. The computer seems to boot up well now. However, if you recall from my previous thread when I assembled the computer together. The PSU sometimes makes unhealthy noise. It is a corsair 600W, what alternatives shall I look to get for this? Do I just get the same or go higher/lower?

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,037 posts

One issue at a time please, if the computer boots up fine then let us know, discussing earlier threads is not helpful to yourself or those attempting to assist you  :thumbsup: