Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wininet.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an

WININET.DLL Error WININET Error

• Please log in to reply

anilhacker95

anilhacker95

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hello There!

There is a problem in My Lappe occured yesterday after restart. It show a error "C:\windows\SYSTEM32\WININET.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error." I am using Lenovo Y50-70 Laptop (Windows 8.1 Genuine). Many programs are not runing showing same error. Please Help :(

Thnx in Advance.

Edited by anilhacker95, 10 November 2014 - 11:16 AM.

Advertisements

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

From my experience this is usually due to group policy changes from adware or malware.. Do have any toolbars in any of your browsers? Internet Explorer or otherwise? Do you have programs like shopperpro or gorillaprice installed? Even without your knowledge?

If so you may want to hit up the Virus, Spyware, and Malware forum. Here's the guide to setting up a topic there: http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Do you have any antivirus installed? Maybe try running a scan if you do and see what happens.

anilhacker95

anilhacker95

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thnx for your reply!

But there is not any toolbaar or any programs installed in my system. And i also scaned my system by malwarebytes and there is no any virus or malware in my pc. Before this problem occured i installed Bitdefender Total Security. But now my system starts but lots of programs are not running showing same error. :(

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

If you're positive it's not any kind of malware, let's try to see if the system file checker can fix it.

1. Go to the search bar and type "CMD" without the quotes.

2. Right click on it and select "Run as Administrator"

3. Run the command "sfc /scannow" without the quotes.

4. If SFC said it repaired files, then reboot your computer.

Let me know if you're still having issues and we'll go from there.

Edited by hazard209, 11 November 2014 - 09:24 AM.

hazard209

hazard209

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Hello,

I haven't heard from you in a while and your situation didn't seem like it was resolved. Do you still need help? An update is always appreciated. 

Thanks.  :wave: