Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3D Graphics cards help

3d graphic

• Please log in to reply

Bonebrain

Bonebrain

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Right im restoring an old pc and i was looking over components and discovered that graphic cards don't use the standard connector for your monitor anymore at least all of the good ones don't. Do i need to get a new monitor with all new connectors or is their a cable i need to use or do they work completely differently these days? 

cheers

Bone

Advertisements

futuristicguy

futuristicguy

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Well it depends with your monitor that if it's support or not for the 3d images.

Bonebrain

Bonebrain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

im talking about 3d graphics not 3d movies all monitors support 3d graphics

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

bonebrain,

Let us know what monitor  you have and connections and which graphics card are you speaking of ?

Do make adapters for VGA which is old standard to DVI, so can hookup a newer graphics card with DVI to older VGA Monitor.

Not saying picture going to be best mattering to age of monitor and specs it has. (resolution) and Card you buy.

Yes i believe so you can do 3D Grpahics with say LCD monitor without buying 3D monitor, but in certain graphics made you will need them within this software.For movies and gaming you will need them.

Only other thing is with 3D Graphics, animation software, definitely need a good graphics card and monitor, see specs in Program like Cinema 4D

http://www.maxon.net/?id=311

Edited by jds63, 10 November 2014 - 07:19 PM.

Bonebrain

Bonebrain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

My Monitor is fairly new its only a year old but only had the standard blue connector on the back for signal in but its a Benq Senseye 3 LED monitor that is only 1 year old and this is the level of graphics card i am looking to get 

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Cards/NVIDIA+GeForce/GeForce+GTX+970/Gigabyte+GeForce+GTX+970+WindForce+OC+4096MB+GDDR5+PCI-Express+Graphics+Card+%28GV-N970WF3OC-4GD%29+%2B+1+FREE+GAME%21+?productId=62207 

My only concern is will i need to get a new monitor to use this graphics card or is there a cable that can convert the connectors as i have no issues with the monitor as it can produce hd images.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

bonebrain,

Your link did not work.

Not sure of Model of this Benq Senseye 3 LED to look at specs because more then one model has Senseye 3 . This it ,with a VGA only input  http://www.benq.com/...onitor/gl951am/

If so not to high of resolution for the card you want.

Most Graphic cards will come with an adapter D-Sub (VGA) to DVI this would be the type you will need to use unless you buy a card that has a D-Sub connector on it already which few newer ones do nowadays.

My opinion of this card, it's a good card as seen here in EVGA Brand http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814487076

Here are specs you need on the sytem for it to work  http://www.geforce.c.../specifications

Notice for one you will need minimum of 500W Power Supply to run this card, plus PCI-E 3.0 slot available slot on PC Motherboard. I do not know the specs of your PC to recommend this card even though it is a good card, very powerful.

A lot of factors have to look at as listed above, i feel not knowing the exact native resolution and specs of your monitor and if it can produce quality picture, plus using VGA how good the resolution will be and look for this card for you to buy.

Edited by jds63, 11 November 2014 - 03:51 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Please give us the Brand/model number of your presently installed PSU.

If this is your selected card? > http://www.aria.co.u...productId=62207

PSU requirements, 450W and 1x 8-Pin & 1x 6-Pin PCI-E connectors. The Graphics card has a 150W TDP (Total Power Draw) Info taken from the link above. 

Source, > 

Bonebrain

Bonebrain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

My monitor reconmends 1600x900 pixels but for anymore info thats all i can get from my monitor and as for power supply my tower is a 7 year old alienware area 51 with excellent ventilation and power supply. my mutherboard i will be installing will hav 2 pci-e slots and be more than capable of supporting the graphics card. So i will either be given an adaptor in the box for dvi to vga or have to buy a new monitor that supports a dvi input cheers  

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

You mean you ccould not be able to supply the Model Number, should be on the monitor or with documentation that originally came with it.

When purchasing a new Graphics card it is first important to make sure your system meets the requirements of the card, otherwise you will have issues using it.

You need to know you do have a 500 W power supply and bus support of PCI-E 3.0, these are the two factors required, sure extra power connector for this card. Sometimes the cards are backwards compatible with PCI-E 2.0.

This is a pretty high end card for your monitor and is able to reach higher resolutions then this monitor supports, i felt you will not receive the best performance with this monitor and with this card using VGA.

This does not mean it won't work with this monitor. Again what is more important is  the PSU and the available slots meet the requirements of the card.

7 years could be a possibility may not be 500w PSU. Your call, we are just trying to help and guide you with questioned asked.

Bonebrain

Bonebrain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

without dismantling the tower i couldn't tell you the psu output but if it isnt sufficient i will replace it when i get the graphics card and im trying to put this pc together without spending a small fortune on it and if my monitor isnt going to be able to support the card at its max specs then i will need to replace it eventually.

My question which you have already answered in a previous post was how do i connect my monitor to the new graphics cards as they have different outputs and inputs and now when i get my card i shall be purchasing a converter to go with it which i thank you for your support.

As for the rest i have it all sorted my motherboard will have 2x PCI-E 3.0/2.0 support and the power supply may need replacement due to age more than output depends on how it goes. and as for the monitor all it says on the back is model id GL2023-ba and type gl2023a and the link is:-

http://benq.co.uk/pr.../specifications

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Bonebrain,

You do not have to possibly remove the PSU from the PC to be able to see the wattage sometimes the label is visible on PSU by just opening  the case without disconnecting anything.

http://www.computerh...es/ch000800.htm

Now if you provide the Model Number of this PC, either you or I can look it up on the manufacturer's site will most likely give the power supplies wattage.Unless custom build. Need 500 watts for this card to even run, but also matters how much other hardware you have on system, number of hard drives, optical drives,USB Devices and any other slot cards. Everything like that takes some power. On internet find PSU calculaters determine if have enough.

Also would not go ut and buy the adapter yet because most of times the Video card will come with one, no rush for it.

Monitor is decent not high resolution or contrast ratio, but as i said it will work with card, just not provide the best performance for this type of card.

Your welcome post back if need more help or when you are finished with this thread to show how everything was resolved and worked to help others who read it.ty

Edited by jds63, 13 November 2014 - 12:54 PM.

Bonebrain

Bonebrain

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Cheers if i remember i will post back up as i will be building the bulk of the pc over december and the graphics card will be sometime early 2015 once ive saved up enough cash and as for the power supply the tower isnt the one im using currently its sat behind a load of stuff out of the way due to its size ready for when i get the main parts to get it up and running cheers for all the help.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Have me little confused, but seems your trying to custom build one from parts you have (case). Well there is a lot of knowledgeable people here who can guide you more on that idea.

Always remember, do your homework, before purchasing items. Felt that graphics card is more on high-end gaming type.

So if need help post back, good luck, your welcome.

Edited by jds63, 13 November 2014 - 04:57 PM.