Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No startup! Black screen.

• Please log in to reply

MustiDarsh

MustiDarsh

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Dear geeks,

My gaming machine has some startup problems. As soon as I press the power button everything turns on and I see the motherboard's 'options' screen. And for 1 second the windows 8.1 booting screen. Afterwards it goes to a black screen where I cannot do anything. My mouse and keyboard are also disabled at that point. Then I press the restart button and then (sometimes) it boots correctly.

I have the same problem when I put my PC in sleepingmode.

These are the components I have in my PC:
- Fatal1ty Z77 performance
- G.Skill Ripjaws-X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL - Memory
- Corsair Gaming Series GS600 (Power Supply)
- Intel Core i5 3570
- ASUS GTX660 TI-DC2OG-2GD5
- Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC128B

There are 2 monitors connected to my screen and both of them are black.

I am thinking that the power supply may not be powerful enough (from time to time) to power up every component in the case which leads to not booting correctely.

I have replaced my motherboard with a new one (same model) but the problem still occurs.
I hope someone can help me.

Kind regards,

Musti

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: MustiDarsh. 

Providing your PSU is working correctly, it is powerful enough too run your system, > http://www.corsair.com/en/gs600w

As soon as I press the power button everything turns on and I see the motherboard's 'options' screen. And for 1 second the windows 8.1 booting screen. Afterwards it goes to a black screen where I cannot do anything. My mouse and keyboard are also disabled at that point.

Please make sure your mouse and keyboard are plugged into the top two ports on the back of the computer case.

Restart the computer and when you see the Options Screen, press the space bar.   On the menu that opens, highlight Safe Mode with Networking and left click or press enter.

Does you computer boot up?

MustiDarsh

MustiDarsh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello,

Everything is connected properly. How do I go Safe mode with Networking?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

Hello Musti,

While iammykyl is offline I will chime in if I may  :)

Getting into Safe Mode in Windows 8 and 8.1 is rather tricky at the best of times because it boots up so fast, if you add UEFI and booting from an SSD to the equation it is impossible under normal circumstances.

Is the computer working ok at the moment, if yes, follow the guide here to create a Recovery Drive.

If the computer is not working ok at the moment, with the computer turned off and all cables disconnected, remove the add on video card, reseat the Ram,  reassemble the computer but use the MBs integrated video port and only the one monitor, turn on the computer to test and then post back with an update.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page. 

MustiDarsh

MustiDarsh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks for you respond., I will try that for 48 hours so I am sure if the problem is solved and then I will come back with a response.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,772 posts

:thumbsup:

MustiDarsh

MustiDarsh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

After days of trying and testing I think I can come back with an answer that everything works as it is supposed to. Today I placed my VideoCard back again and will try it to see if the problem is fixed

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:thumbsup:  keeping our fingers crossed.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

How did the GPU perform?   Have you fixed the problem?   A update would be appreciated.

Thanks.

MustiDarsh

MustiDarsh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hello Back,

I have been testing since then. The GPU is starting up fine (with 1 screen, haven't tried with 2) but there is another problem that I have been after for more that a week.

I want to take a picture of it but I am always late. The problem is when I press shut down. It starts shutting down but then I get a error box. It says something about memory with a weird code.

I don't know if the problem is coming from one of my USB ports/ hardware or something else.

Kind regards,

Musti

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

See if we can get some info from  the event Logs,

Go > Start > click Run.   Copy and paste  eventvwr in the open box, > click OK.

The Event Viewer window will open, > make it full screen.

​> click the Applications Tab, then take a screenshot.

> click the Systems Tab, then take a screenshot.

Look in the Systems window for any errors, > Double click the last error listed.  Take a screenshot.

> Click the link "For more information blah blah"

> Click Yes in the window the opens.  

You will go to a help page giving an explanation for the error, is it of any help?

Lower down the page, see, User Action, anything listed?.

Please include the three screenshots in your next reply.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Been a while since we heard from you, have you solved the problem, or need more help?   An update would be appreciated.

Thenks.