Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build help please. (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Ok, so when the freezing happens its mainly during video. I tend to watch alot of Twitch streamers and I play RuneScape at the same time. It helps make the time go by. The audio is coming from the motherboard but video is set to come througfh a graphics card I bought, the Nvidia GeForce GTX 760, via a HDMI cable.

Recently during videos I've been having like half a second freezing but it only ever happens during video playback. I've had my PC on for hours playing music, looking at website, playing RuneScape on its own and nothing. But video definately seems to be the glitchy bit. Should I take out the video card and see if I get the same thing?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Before removing the video card, use the computer as you normally would and do the following for us;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

This is speedfan test. AUXTIN1 and 2 results worry me.

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.jpg

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Before I could reply, I lost picture on my monitor, it just went blank on me. The PC itself didn't restart but just lost picture, monitor is still good. Here is HW thingy results:

Attached Thumbnails

• hw.jpg

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

The same programs under load. HW doesnt seem to wanna run a second time to get the other half of results.

Attached Thumbnails

• hw1load.jpg
  • speedfanload.jpg

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Getting the buzzing without video now, its just getting worse and worse. Like during music and sound effects on windows.

Edited by agent_numpty, 23 November 2014 - 07:00 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

AUXTIN is the power supply  temp sensor if there is one and agreed those readings are very high.

Sorry but that is not the HWMonitor info that is needed, see attachment for example;

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Sorry bout the extra post.

Here it is. Should I be worried about doing what I normally do and keeping activity to a minimum?

Edit: pic2 is after a few minutes of doing my usual gaming and viewing streams

Attached Thumbnails

• pic1.jpg
  • pic2.jpg

Edited by agent_numpty, 23 November 2014 - 08:09 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No problem, we just  don`t want to miss any info that you may provide  :thumbsup:

Sorry to be a pain but as post in my reply #22 attachment we need an expanded screenshot of HWMonitor so that we can see the details for (the GTX 760 in particular) all items of hardware.

If you have a small desktop fan and it is safe to do so (no children or pets around) take off the side of the case and direct the desktop fan towards the inside of the case to see if the temps come down any, if no desktop fan let us know as we need to try and get those temps down somehow.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Unfortunately the only fan I have is too big to get into my room and into a position where it can blow onto the tower.

Does the location of the PC tower matter? Mine was in a confined desk which hides the tower completely out of sight. I have moved the tower to above the desk and CPUTIN and TMPIN3 dropped 10C.

Edit: Should SYSFANIN and AUXFANIN2 be running?

Attached Thumbnails

• pic3.jpg

Edited by agent_numpty, 23 November 2014 - 08:36 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

The location of the computer itself + where in the case the chassis cooling fans are located has an awful lot to do with how high the temps will reach, for the most effective cooling there should be a fan at the front of the case to draw in cool clean air and an exhaust fan at the rear of the case to expel the hot air, good internal cable management and an unrestricted airflow around the case is also a must, if you do not have this the internal heat cannot escape and so gets hotter and hotter.

CPUTIN is a CPU MB temp sensor and TMPIN 3 is a MB sensor near the GPU.

Should SYSFANIN and AUXFANIN2 be running?

How many internal case fans do you have.

BTW you need to click on the + signs to get the HWMonitor information for the hardware items at the bottom of your screenshot, the CPU, GTX 760 and HDDs etc.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I have 5 fans inside the case itself, 1 in the front, 1 in the back, 1 on top and 2 side fans.

The wires inside the case maybe need re-doing? Its a bit of a mess inside the case at the moment and have tried to keep some of the cables out the way to prevent them from getting in the way. I do have cable ties so I think it'd be quite the challenge to see what I can do to make it a bit neater.

I made an attempt with the help of an extension cable to get my fan on the tower with a panel open but I dont think it done much good but having the tower on top of the desk has definately reduced the temperatures as you said.

Still been running the HWMonitor thing, had the case panel open then closed it back up, the temps went up a little but it settled again.

Attached Thumbnails

• pic4.jpg

Edited by agent_numpty, 23 November 2014 - 09:09 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the additional info  :thumbsup:

You have a good cooling fan arrangement and excluding the MB your hardware temps show that it is being cooled efficiently, the MB inc chipset/s are not though, tidying up the internal cables and permanently improving the airflow should help with this, hopefully no long term damage caused by excessive heat will have been done.

Apart from the CPU your MB only has two 4 pin fan headers that monitor + can control the fan speeds, try increasing these fan speeds to a bearable noise level to drop those temps further.

1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (4 -pin) Monitored and manually controllable.
2 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (4 -pin) Monitored and manually controllable.
1 x Power Fan connector(s) (3 -pin) Monitored if the PSU is connected to it but fan speeds not controllable.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

How would I go about increasing fan speeds? The fans are really quiet at the moment and it feels really cool inside the machine.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

ASUS fan xpert 2 from here and a "how to use" tutorial here