Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build help please. (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I have Fan Xpert+. It does let me adjust the fans but I get constant warnings from Asus Suite 2 about how fast the fans are going.

I tried to get the Fan Xpert 2 but the updater says I already have the most up-to-date version which is Fan Xpert+.

There is an Auto Tuning feature in the software but I'm scared of whether it's to improve the performance overall or not.

I'll do some experimenting with the wiring inside the case first though, like you said, an organised case keeps the air flowing freely.

Update:

This morning I went through my case. Did some tucking and re-routing of some cables and even took out an extension cable I thought I needed but didn't.

Still getting periodic half second buzzing/freezing during video and audio.

Is it time to see if it's the video card yet?

Would it be possible to get more info into what you were looking for in the HWMonitor and CPUID things? I have a friend that wants me to get some practice from building PCs and wants me to upgrade his computer. Any tips would be much appreciated.

Edited by agent_numpty, 24 November 2014 - 03:37 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Try the auto tuning feature by all means as that is what it is there for but for your own peace of mind do it while you can also monitor things, to help things along do this first with the add on video card fitted and then with the card removed.

HWMonitor and Speedfan provide us with temp and voltage readings from the PSU, MB and other hardware, we look for high temps + high or low voltages.

We will be glad to help with build tips when appropriate but for now we need to sort your rig out, you can though check out the build tutorial link in my sig meanwhile  :thumbsup:

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I ran the auto tuning this morning with the video card in. Everything seems OK at the moment, not had any issues so far. Temperatures seem to have settled too.

Been running CPUID HWMonitor for the past few hours whilst I've been gaming/watching videos and the pic is that of the outcome so far.

Thanks for your help so far. You've been a legend. Will let you know how the build is running in the next few days

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

You are most welcome and thank you for the update  :thumbsup:

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Ok, so I've been doing my usual stuff on my PC and I think it started playing up again with the usual video freezing periodically so now I've taken out the graphics card and am running the video through the motherboard's VGA connection (I think thats what its called, has 2 screws built into the plug anyway).

I do have a question though. On CPUID, when I turned the PC off, the temperatures for CPUTIN were 118dC. I removed the graphics card, booted up the PC again and the temperature is 31dC. Can the pins really drop that fast in temperature in only 5 minutes? I've read on other forums that sometimes the sensors aren't all that great, is it the case here?

Also if the temperatures do stay normal like below 60dC, what does that mean? A new motherboard? New PSU? I found on the NVidia website that it said to power the GTX 760 it requires a MINIMUM of 500W which is what my PSU is so upgrading it would be an option?

Update: Still getting buzzing/freezing periodically during video.

Edited by agent_numpty, 29 November 2014 - 05:23 AM.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

This isn't normal is it?

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Polite reminder

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

Your PSU voltages are fine but if you could borrow a suitable 500W PSU from somewhere just for testing purposes it would help to rule it in or out as the cause.

Chipsets and CPUs heat up in a matter of seconds and can cool just as quickly depending on the ambient room temperatures where the computer is.

As the issue is still present without the add on video card and the PSU output looks good I suspect that it is the MB that has the issue and predominantly the chipset overheating, are you or have you overclocked this system.

Quick check for you to do, use the computer as you normally would for around 10 minutes (less if it freezes) quickly shut down and disconnect the power cord and feel how hot the top of the chipset is then get back to us.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

If the CPU is overclocked, then it would have been because of the auto-tuning feature in the ASUS Suite 2 software.

I have done what you asked with checking the temperature of the chipset by feel aing it and it really hot to touch. What would that mean? More money spent on a replacement? If so, do I just replace the motherboard with the same model or should I upgrade it?

I do have a spare PSU but not sure what wattage it is because it's a pretty old system.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

You could try a Southbridge cooler like the example here

Check out the wattage of the spare PSU and let us know what it is.

Yours is not an isolated incident btw, see Toms thread here

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Glad I'm not the only one having trouble with this mobo.

I've had a look in my old PC. Didn't realise how old it was til I looked inside it lol. The PSU is only 280W max and has all the old school white clearish connectors which (using an online PSU calculator) won't be enough to power my system.

If you look at a picture of the ASUS P8Z77 LX the chipset is the blue ASUS logo bit? I'm guessing (by looking inside my tower) that the logo piece comes off and the chipset cooler thingy goes on?

Attached Thumbnails

• overview.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

If you do opt to try a chipset cooler I would leave the ASUS plate on and stick the thermal tape that mounts the cooler direct to that, there are other types available but I thought the stick on was easier to use.

Shame about the PSU not being suitable btw.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Ok, so here's the latest. I ordered the chipset cooler over the weekend. Hoping it'll turn up tomorrow. Got a couple of questions whilst I'm here though.

1. If the chipset cooler doesn't work, what would the next step be? Replacingupgrading the mobo?

2. Would it be worth getting another 500W PSU or maybe a 600W one?

Will let you know, with more screenshots, how my PC performs with the chipset cooler installed later on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

Borrowing a PSU for testing purposes if you can would be my next suggestion, other than that removing the heatsink and replacing it with a direct fan cooled type.

If you upgrade the MB you may also need to purchase a new product key for the OS, if it does look like you will upgrade the MB contact Microsoft first and let them know that your MB is faulty, if you do this they will normally allow you to reuse the existing product key with the new MB.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I think it may be worth using DDU to remove the current GPU driver and install the latest ver, (no Beta ones)

Download The Latest driver for your GPU, save to the desktop.

Download DDU > extract files to the desktop. > http://www.guru3d.co...r-download.html

​> Restart the computer in Safe Mode, > click on Display Driver Uninstaller.   Leave the default setting, click on Clean and Restart, (highly recommended)

When finished, Install the GPU driver you downloaded. 

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Ok, so the chipset cooler is in place. From the very moment the PC started and I started playing video/audio the periodic buzzing/freezing was there.

I did run Speedfan recently and a warning about a "winbond" came up. Searched around the internet, an error with the sensors?

I have posted in a social media website asking if anyone has a spare PSU they can lend/give so I'm currently waiting on a response there.

I'm not too keen on the idea of buying more/better fans for my case.