Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build help please. (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Hi,

I built a PC back in September. I had down research, got all the components I wanted that were compatible and I built it. I have, however, been experiencing random freezing and sometimes it shuts down and reboots. Very recently, after the PC rebooted on its own, I've had the motherboard tell me that the "power supply is unstable" so I bought a PSU tester and the readout is giving me normal readings.

I've searched the internet, installed the latest drivers for the processor, motherboard and updated the BIOS. I'm starting to run out of idea on what to do and REALLY need the help.

Here is my PC setup:

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX

Processor: Intel 3rd-Gen Core i5-3750K

Memory: Corsair CMZ8GX3MA1600C9 Vengenance 4GB (x2)

Hard Drive: Seagate ST1000DM003 Barracuda 1TB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760

PSU: Corsair Builder Series CXM 500W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank-you.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: agent_numpty

Unless you purchased a very sophisticated PSU tester, it can only tell you the output is Ok in an idle state, it cannot test the PSU under load and as the CXm is the bottom end of the Corsair range, I would still say it is a suspect given the freezing and shutdown happen.   

What application or software gave you "power supply is unstable"?  

Consider using Malwarebytes free to scan all downloads,  > http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Please download/install/run  HWiNFO64 4.46.(sensor reading only, system under stress) please go full screen and take a screenshot. > http://www.guru3d.co...4-download.html  Also Speedfan, 2 shots, system at idle and stressed.  > http://apkappngame.b...tup-latest.html

They should show us the PSU output and the tempts.  

Please include in your next reply.  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

In addition to the above, post your computer case brand and model name or number + how many cooling fans you have and where they are located in the case.

If the computer is plugged directly into the wall socket (without a UPS or a good quality surge protector as a minimum) try using the computer from a different wall socket.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Ok, so I've run through a few things you said, iammykyl.

Power Supply tester was a Thermaltake Dr Power II PSU Tester ATX2.3 LCD Display.

The message about the power supply came up at the first screen in DOS with the ASUS logo and the option to press F1 to go to Setup in the BIOS.

I used the program HWiNFO64 4.46 with "sensor reading only" but there was no "system under stress" option. This is the outcome:

Not sure how to get a screenshot on here, keeps saying the file extension isn't allowed.

That Speedfan website was blocked by Norton as it contained threats and wouldn't allow me to proceed further.

For phillpower2, the case is Zalman Z11 Plus Midi Tower with1 front 120mm, 1 top 120mm Blue LED, 1 rear 120mm, and 2 side 80mm fans.I've been using the same surge protector and wall socket for many things and never had a problem with them.

I've also visited the ASUS website and downloaded/installed the "ASUS Suite II" it seemed to have detected alot of supporting software that I was missing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Any problem since the ASUS software was updated.

As iammykl said earlier sophisticated equipment is required to conclusively test a PSU and looking at the reviews for the Thermaltake device it is rather hit and miss with even checking the basic voltage supply;

none.gifIncorrect description

Pros: None.

Cons: The description says "Power Tester". That is not correct. It is a voltage tester. It cannot check whether a power supply can give the rated current. Voltage X Current = Power. 

This device does not test the power supply under load, which is the only meaningful test.

none.gifCan't trust it to find a marginal PSU

Pros: Fairly easy to understand.

Cons: A known bad PSU passed all the tests

Other Thoughts: Two system with flaky power supplies passed the tests of this device. Yet those systems would randomly reboot or shut down. Replacing the power supplies corrected the issue, so it was clearly the PSU at fault.

If you have a power supply tester that can't reliably detect a failing power supply, what's the point?

Good cooling arrangement in the case so unless a flaky PSU is heating up the hardware by putting out too higher voltage overheating would appear to be ruled out.

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

We need to wait and see if the ASUS software has stabilised the MB before looking any further at other possible causes.

Not sure what Nortons problem is with Speedfan btw  :headscratch:

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Heres the result of the HWMonitor

Only installed the ASUS suite ii last night but so far it seems ok, still a little unsure though.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.jpg

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

The results from HWiNFO64.

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled2.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Nothing out of the ordinary there so if the computer remains stable put your GPU through it`s paces with Valley Benchmark (free)) which you can get from here this will test your GPU and put the PSU under load when the GPU requires full power from it.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the assistance Phillpower2 :thumbsup:

agent_numpty.

Speedfan not required now, site did come up clean with my scanners.

I used the program HWiNFO64 4.46 with "sensor reading only" but there was no "system under stress" option.

Ah, should have made that clearer.   When you run Valley, run HWM to get stress readings. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

You are most welcome iammykyl   :)  :thumbsup:

Advertisements

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Everything seems fine at the moment. Have left the PC running all day, done my usual gaming/streaming activities and no incidents yet.

I have downloaded and ran the GPU through the Valley program for a good 5 minutes (need longer?) and it seemed fine, PC wasn't jumping or waving its hands in the air screaming "Stop it! It hurts!"

Thanks guys for all the help.

Will let you guys know if my PC has been incident free next Wednesday because the freezing/restarting happens every couple of days.

Wish me luck.

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

I did have HWMonitor running whilst Valley was going.

There wasn't anything I could see that was unusual in the Voltage side of the program, was all within their range. The temperatures rose a few degrees but I guess thats just down to amount of usage.

Is there something I should be looking for? I just want to know coz I did enjoy building my own PC, wouldn't mind doing it again If the opportunity was there.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the Updates.

As things appear to be OK at the moment, there is nothing more to do.

Will await your next update, hoping you tell us a  :spoton:

agent_numpty

agent_numpty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

well, i'm glad i didnt post on wednesday.

i got good and bad news,

good news is i think the software fixed the power supply surges.

bad news is on both thursday and today i had a complete freeze of my pc. couldnt do abything and the pc doesnt automatically restart like it did with the power surges so this could be a completely new problem?

Edit: not sure if it helps but both times I've had a buzzing noise come through the speakers.

Edited by agent_numpty, 22 November 2014 - 06:34 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

What sort of load was the computer under when these two latest incidents occurred, buzzing noises coming through speakers when a computer locks up is often a sign that something has overheated, the GPU is a common culprit and one sign may be if your add on video card is also providing the audio.