Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Abrupt and complete shutdown

• Please log in to reply

beezu

beezu

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hi. I have been using my laptop for a long time now, mostly neglecting my desktop. I've decided I want to use the desktop again. It is not a bad desktop, even though the last time I upgraded it was a few years ago, its still pretty darn good I would say.

My problem is it has been very abruptly and completely shutting off. I was trying to update the video drivers and with nothing else running, it would get about halfway through the installation process and BOOM. The computer is off. no error messages pop up, the fans dont make excessive noises, it just stops.

I checked all the physical connections and everything seems fine. there is minimal dust in the fans, though I suppose I could still blow it out. The fans all seem to be pretty normal sounding.

I can't figure this one out. It isn't like I am doing anything intensive.

Could I need to replace the power supply?

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

beezu,

Sounds like a good possibilty it is the PSU, ways to test it i believe with a paper clip, unless have a spare one, kind of hard to know, be first place i would check. http://www.wikihow.c...-a-Power-Supply

Unless have meter you can check it that way  http://pcsupport.abo...-multimeter.htm

Be careful ground yourself when working inside a PC touch metal surface on exterior of frame PC, push power button in a few times to discharge electric from unit first.

Edited by jds63, 11 November 2014 - 08:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   beezu,

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used, the Ram including the amount and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page.