Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I am mysteriously unable to access certain pages...

• Please log in to reply

shaunclicked2

shaunclicked2

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

I thought I had malware and opened a topic in that section and repeatedly tried to find out what the issue was to no avail. I was told by my helper to create a topic here with a link to my original one. So here is the issue as best I can explain it. Until about a month ago I had zero problems. I browsed as normal. Typical things... MSN, Facebook, Hotmail (Outlook), etc. Roughly one month ago my computer went through a fairly large update from Microsoft. It went normally as well. The next time I tried to access my Facebook, it instantly went to a "Sorry this page can't be displayed" message. I thought the site was down and it would return. I went back day after day and the same thing happens. Then I also discovered that my Hotmail account did the same thing. I have no issues surfing most sites in IE but these two are the worst, and I still cannot access them. I have also crossed other sites that gave me the error message too but I can't recall them all. Paypal is one for sure. It isn't very many though. I have tried to turn off the firewall to no avail. I have disabled and uninstalled malware software to no avail. I have no idea why I cannot access these everyday sites in IE. I still can access them in Chrome. Could we try and get to the bottom of this? 

Link: http://www.geekstogo...ed-to-frequent/

Advertisements

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi,

A couple of things we don't yet know, if you can answer them it will be a help, is this a Dell desktop or laptop, and can you let us know the full model number please?

Has this computer ever had an earlier version of Internet Explorer on it, such as version 9 or 10, or did it come with 11 installed?

Also can you please tell us if the system clock is correct down at the bottom right. or do you have to keep re-setting it?

A hint, some https sites, and also Microsofts Outlook depend entirely on full synchronisation to time.windows.com for them to work.

To check this, click on the system clock and in the bottom of the window that opens click the "Change date and time settings" in the next window to open click on the "Internet time" tab at the top, in that window click on "Change settings"

In the next smaller window, make sure the server is set to "time.windows.com" is selected, then click the "Update Now" button, if everything else is OK it should then tell you it has synchronised the time.

See what will work or not now.

Edit to add, in that internet time window it should also tell you "This computer is set to automatically synchronise with time.windows.com.

If it is not set to do so let us know.

Nev.

Edited by Plastic Nev, 12 November 2014 - 08:33 AM.

shaunclicked2

shaunclicked2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

I will answer any questions to the best of my ability. My unit is a Dell Inspiron laptop 1545 Model # PP41L. It was bought brand new from Dell in 2010 and I am 99% sure it did not come with IE 11. I don't think IE 11 was out yet. I can't recall if it was 9 or 10 as it has updated several times since then. I checked my clock and it has the correct time for me (I'm in eastern time zone), but it also was sychronized with time.nist.gov. I changed it to time.windows.com. 

Edited by shaunclicked2, 12 November 2014 - 11:47 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi, OK and thanks for the information, and also regarding the time and clock, so we can rule that out.

Providing that as you say it previously had Internet Explorer 9 or 10 installed, you can uninstall Internet explorer 11 and then either see if internet Explorer 10 is OK or reinstall Internet explorer 11 It should roll back to version 10 when version 11 is uninstalled without losing bookmarks etc.

To save me a lot of typing, Microsoft did it for me. :D

https://support.micr...8?wa=wsignin1.0

Give that a try and let us know.

Nev.

shaunclicked2

shaunclicked2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

I followed those directions of the Microsoft website and uninstalled IE 11. What's next?

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Do you now have Internet Explorer 10 showing?

If so, see if that can see the websites you want.

You can also now reinstall Internet Explorer 11 and see if that helps.

Nev.

shaunclicked2

shaunclicked2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Yes, I have IE 10. There was no change in the behavior. I tried to reinstall IE 11 and got an error message saying my version of Windows was not supported. Do you think that has something to do with it?

Edited by shaunclicked2, 15 November 2014 - 02:05 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

That is odd, it installed once before and should do again.

I am not sure what needs to be done next though so I will have to ask if anyone else has an idea.

Nev.

Joe-King

Joe-King

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Hi Plastic Nev Not trying to steal your show. I just seen the description of his original problem,  it was very much like what i just experinced. So thought i would share the fix that worked for me.

I had the same problem, If you look at this link go #24 Answer,

ruggie Has Solved my problem.

http://www.geekstogo...ertain-website/

Administrator Command Prompt
Click start, search and type cmd
When command prompt shows in the listing, right click it and selct run as administrator

Type each line one at a time and press enter after each line:

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

Reboot the computer and then see if it works.

By the way i was worried i would lose info doing this. But i did not lose anything. It just refreshed everything and my computer will go to any website now. ruggie is the man!!!! :P

Edited by Joe-King, 15 November 2014 - 11:30 PM.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Hi Joe, I also saw your thread and the fix, though the problem here is slightly different, it may still fix things and worth a try.

However here is what I suggest first.

Do a system restore to a few days ago, that hopefully will reinstate Internet Explorer 11.

Then try the Command Prompt.

It is important to right click on the cmd.exe that shows in the search and then select "Run as administrator"

Then type in the commands as outlined above.

Nev.

Advertisements

shaunclicked2

shaunclicked2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

I thought I would report that last night the equation changed. My computer updated again from Windows. This morning I again tried to download IE 11 and was successful. However, there was no change in the "this page can't be displayed" problem. Still cannot access Paypal, Outlook, or Facebook.

Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

OK shaunclicked2, that at least is good news about IE11, please try those Command Prompts as per Joe Kings post. If it works, we both have rugie to thank.

shaunclicked2

shaunclicked2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

I tried the first part of the above solution with the command prompts. I am sorry to report it did nothing at all to help. 

Joe-King

Joe-King

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Hello shaunclicked2.

Sorry that did not work for you as well.

Have you checked your antivirus or firewall again lately, To see if these websites got put into the 'Do not enter' ?

"Firefox has an option that lets you temporarily disable themes and extensions, so you can still use your browser even if one of your add-ons is buggy. It's called safe mode and it's "a special Firefox execution mode that can be used to troubleshoot issues in Firefox. In Safe Mode, you can reset some settings or disable add-ons that might be the source of the issue. By comparing Firefox behavior in normal mode to its behavior in Safe Mode with various items disabled, you may be able to diagnose issues."

Google Chrome doesn't have this feature, but you can open an incognito window to temporarily disable extensions.

SpywareDr showed me this awhile back. : )

Edited by Joe-King, 17 November 2014 - 02:37 PM.

shaunclicked2

shaunclicked2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Is there nothing else to do? (other than avoid Microsoft's products)