Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there no way to format my laptop?

Formatting Laptop Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

mhkunited

mhkunited

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I want to format my asus win7 laptop but i have no cd since it got delivered with win7 on it. i read online that i need to press f8 when booting to get the option windows setup but all i get is the option to booth with windows 7 which is completely not what im looking for and goes above my logic i really have no idea what to do at this point, i know i can just instal a pirated version of the os but i want to keep my genuine one if possible. Please, any help in any way would be really apreciated, have been trying to figure this out for a hour of 3. It shouldn't be this hard right..

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:    mhkunited,

Can I ask why you wish to format the hard drive, the reason that I ask is because it is normally the last thing that we would suggest unless it it is the only way to resolve an issue.

You have an ASUS brand notebook  so it is possible that there is a recovery partition on the HDD and that is why you were not supplied with any Windows 7 installation disk, to check this can you post a screenshot of Disk Manager for us, see below;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

NB: So that I can confirm that you have received notification of my reply to your topic please click on the Follow this topic tab at the upper right corner of the page.