Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD ntoskrnl.exe - Really Need Help

• Please log in to reply

Crueluk

Crueluk

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hey guys,

Got a few of these bluescreens an apparently ntoskrnl.exe is to blame. Im not sure how to go in depth into these dumps and actually find out the proper cause of the BSOD. Can anyone help me out?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello Crueluk,

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is a brand name provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Can you check for and upload any dump files for one of us to check;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the Attach button, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

Crueluk

Crueluk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Desktop PC

Custom Built - Has worked for about a year and upgraded graphics card yesterday - this is when problems started although I have had bluescreens before this, just not as frequent.

MB - Asus Rampage IV GENE

Old graphics card - Sapphire Radeon 7970 6gb

New Graphics card - Sapphire R9 295X2 8gb

PSU - 1050W Corsair HX+ "80+ Gold"

The last blue screen just happened as I was playing a game on one monitor and had a twitch stream on the other. Very strange, this happened yesterday too but the minidump isnt there for it. 

Im currently back on my old graphics card as it seems more stable on this one, this makes me think its a PSU issue but you would know better than myself. I do know that new graphics card is a bit of a power consumption beast.

Thank you and your help is much appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by Crueluk, 12 November 2014 - 05:43 PM.

Crueluk

Crueluk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Another BSOD - Different one this time. Simply sitting playing a game on my old graphics card.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Skype and a hardware issue were responsible for the first two crashes, Chrome and USB port/s for the third and a DirectX issue for the latest.

Try dealing with the latest first by downloading the latest DirectX from here then post back.

When you post back can you let us know the following;

The process that you used for uninstalling the previous video card drivers.

What anti virus protection you have installed.

What if any wireless device/s do you have connected to the USB ports.

Crueluk

Crueluk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ok, im hoping the hardware issue is related to the PSU. Got a new 1600W PSU today so I should have more of an idea if that was causing it.

Currently downloading the DX update.

Well after I installed the new GFX card my pc actually had a freak out. I had to reinstall windows so there was no drivers on my SSDs. If I have ever though I remove them via the control panel uninstall for CCC.

Use Microsoft Security Essentials.

I actually have a wireless dongle attached for my G930 headset I use.

EDIT: Now that you mention chrome, I got a BSOD both times when I had twitch streams running off of that, I have no idea how that would cause a BSOD but it did.

Edited by Crueluk, 13 November 2014 - 04:35 AM.

Crueluk

Crueluk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Another BSOD with the new PSU installed. This time Memory Management.
With this one I was trying to replicate the playing a game while having a twitch stream running. 

Did not have wireless dongles attached and did not have skype running.

edit: currently running memtest86+ and I have 131 errors and it's nearly finished. Beginning to think this may be a dud ram stick. I'm going to test them individually and see.

Attached Files

Edited by Crueluk, 13 November 2014 - 05:48 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

When you reinstalled Windows did you also reinstall the drivers for the MB and starting with the chipset drivers first.

Pain in the proverbial regarding the replacement PSU, can it be returned.

If you are doing any form of overclocking please stop and restore the MBs default settings in the BIOS, they may be listed as "most stable" or simply "default factory settings" optimised settings should not be used.

How to physically test your Ram.

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket  and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until the first stick of Ram has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.

Remove the first stick of Ram and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.

Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is Ram in slot one so please provide us with your motherboard details, brand, model name/number and any revision number, these details may be found by the CPU, between the PCI slots and/or around the edge of the motherboard, once we have the MB details we can look for the user manual.

Tip

If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page)  

Crueluk

Crueluk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I believe I did. Il double check the chipset drivers. I'm sure I downloaded them and I'm hoping I did install them!

Thanks for all your help so far by the way! Since my last post I have removed two of the slots of ram. I am currently memtesting 2 and have found 0 errors this time around. The last one finished with 131 errors so I'm thinking that one of them Is a dud. I'm going to run windows and a game to see if it blue screens again. At that point il start to test each slot to make sure it's not my mobo that's got a dud ram slot.

EDIT: So ive been running the PC - Believe it or not I forgot to install chipset drivers (im an idiot, i know) and ive been running with 2 ram sticks instead of 4. Been playing games for about an hour with twitch running in the other screen and skype going with a few friends and havent had any issues at all so far. Im thinking either the chipset drivers or the ram sticks have solved my issue. I will update again in a few hours.

Edited by Crueluk, 13 November 2014 - 07:49 AM.

Crueluk

Crueluk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ok so,

Full day of running now with 2 sticks of ram instead of 4 and I havent had a single blue screen. Everything working great.

Only thing now (not that this is really a major worry of mine) When I turn the mains off and back on, the first time I press the power button the PC powers up, then after about 2 seconds powers down, then waits about 3-4 seconds and powers itself up and works fine from there. 

Any clue why it would be doing this? As I said, its not a major issue, its not stopping the PC from working, just a bit odd.

MB is an Asus Rampage IV Gene by the way

Edited by Crueluk, 14 November 2014 - 01:15 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

My apologies but unfortunately due to other unforeseen commitments I may not be able to reply further until either later on today or Saturday am UK time.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Only thing now (not that this is really a major worry of mine) When I turn the mains off and back on, the first time I press the power button the PC powers up, then after about 2 seconds powers down, then waits about 3-4 seconds and powers itself up and works fine from there. 

Any clue why it would be doing this? As I said, its not a major issue, its not stopping the PC from working, just a bit odd.

usually this is caused by incorrect settings in the bios, ram timing/voltages for example.

what happens is the pc tries to start but the bios start up process notices something is wrong so makes adjustments then restarts with the settings it made, these changes are not permanent so the process repeats every time you boot the computer.

only time i've personally run across this problem is with a bad overclock.

going into bios and setting defaults and saving might cure the double start for you.

:popcorn:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I concur Terry and did mention this back in reply #8 but perhaps Crueluk overlooked the information.

The power good signal is a possible candidate as the cause.

Crueluk

Crueluk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hey guys sorry for the long waited reply.

As far as I'm aware there are no OC,s on my machine. This is about where my knowledge of bios goes out the window. I've had a look and I can't see anything out of the ordinary that would suggest an overclock.

The asus bios doesn't even have a factory reset feature as far as I can see. One thing I did notice is it has changed my ram timing to 1600 when I know my ram is 2100. Could this be the issue? I'm scared to mess about with it incase I nuke the motherboard haha

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Can you post the Ram and CPU details for us, links to them would be helpful if you can.

While you only have two sticks of Ram fitted be sure that they are inserted into slots B1 and D1 on the MB.

Please note that all Ram faster than 1600MHz is being overclocked either by the ASUS AI suite software or by the user.