Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install windows 8.1 on windows 7 laptop

windows 7 windows 8

• Please log in to reply

ftfk00

ftfk00

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Hello,

I have recently purchased windows 8.1 and i hope to install it on my dell inspiron running windows 7 HP laptop,

the laptop has 2.27 processor,4gb ram up gradable to 8gb and integrated graphics.

What i would like to know,is there a way to install the windows 8.1 but keep just the programs i need,

i have over the last 7 years assembled a lot of very useful programs that i do not want to lose especially office 2013,adobe cs6 master collection etc.

I would very much appreciate advice on the best way to achieve this.

Thank you for any advice.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

No guarantee what programs will continue to work if you upgrade from 7 to 8.1. Most should, all will not.

The first thing you need to do is create an image backup of your existing Win 7 system to an external hard drive. That way you can always return to exactly where you are when the image is created.

Next, run the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor, see what it says.

Hopefully you have the install media or downloads you used to install these programs initially along with any required install keys. If not you may lose some of them.