Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer makes grinding noices

• Please log in to reply

azul20

azul20

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hello,

I have an HP Pavilion that is making some pretty rough grinding noises. The noise is not always present. After the grinding noise starts, it seems like the monitor will go black after about ten to fifteen minutes. When the monitor goes black, the computer is still on, but it will no longer be making the grinding noises. The noise will also start to intensify after opening documents, or clicking on anything. Can you please tell me if there is something that can be done to save this system?

Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

welcome back azul20.

It sounds like a fan/s on the video card is failing, (if one is installed)   Please give the Model number of the Pavilion so we can find the configuration, as not much can be done until we know about the hardware. 

If you remove the case side panel, you ma be able to locate the grinding more accurately.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Hey iammykyl,

Thank you for the reply. It is an HP pavilion a6248x. I will try and remove the case to pinpoint the grinding noise sometime tonight, or later on tomorrow. Do you think that there is a possibility that the noise could be coming from the HDD? 

Edited by azul20, 13 November 2014 - 03:42 AM.

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Also, is there something that I can run that will detect hardware issues?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the info.

The only reference to the model number on HP is > http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c01172671

If this is correct? does not have a add on video card, so unless one was added, the grinding noise is elsewhere.   I will wait for your next post.

Tip.   If you last post has not received a reply, click on the Edit button, add your further questions/comments, Then click the Save Changes.  

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

After removing the side panel, it seems like the noise is coming from the HDD. I ran SeaTools a few days ago, and everything was fine, with no errors. I searched online for signs of a failing hard drive, and the most common sign that I kept on reading would be a clicking noise. This is definitely not a clicking noise. Does this mean that it is too far gone to save, or is there something that could possibly be done? 

Thank you for your time.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Weird unusual loud noises from a drive means it is going to die on you at some time.   Not really possible for a home user to make mechanical repairs.

My advice is to backup your data, NOW and replace the drive as soon as possible.

Is the link in reply #5 your computer?

Do you have an external HDD?

Do you have any disks, Windows OS, MB driver/utilities, recovery?

Does it sound like this, > http://tinypic.com/p...=5#.VGXymzSUf6E

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you for the reply. Yes, my computer is the one in the link. I should have some external hard drives and Windows OS disks around here somewhere. And yes, that is exactly how it sounds. 

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update.

Are you still lrunning the original software installation? if yes, you should have the HP Support Assistant > http://www8.hp.com/u...183_1079056.pdf

Don't know how much help this will be, some more sounds, > http://datacent.com/...rive_sounds.php

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Yes, it has all the original software. I am unable to connect to the internet at the moment with the HP for reasons that have nothing to do with the PC. Is there something else that I could try instead of the HP Support Assistant? Something that I may be able to save to a flash drive? I saved SeaTools on a bootable disk and ran the program, but everything came back fine. 

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Okay, I was able to do a full scan using the HP Support Assistant Diagnostic Tool, and the HDD passed with no errors.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

That sounds OK but I still would not trust the drive.

You can take some steps in case of disaster.   Use Macrium Reflect to products a clone of your drive, should it them go west, you can install a new HDD and transfer the cloned image. 

It does not supprt  Differential and Incremental backups

http://www.macrium.c...eflectfree.aspx

azul20

azul20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Thank you very much for all of the help iammykyl! I can put a new HDD in soon.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

You are very welcome.

Please let us know how it goes and of course "give a little whistle" if you need more help.