Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keeping XP on Computer

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

:yeah: :popcorn: :whistling:

I just hope we don't hear :smashcomp:

Advertisements

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Try again..  I can not get on the internet on the Dell.  I did all it told me to do and still it says I have no connection.  I will have to wait on my grandson to come over and see what I am missing.  As for IE, I so dislike it.  It is slow and there is always a problem opening up email.  The only reason I keep it is for some emails I get there that will not go to Yahoo.  As for what I have on this computer, I have everything Phillpower told me to get rid of.  The last time I had this computer fixed the man who worked on it put those programs on here.  So I have let them alone.  I do think that this computer is a good one even if it is hp.  The only problems I have is when I get a bug and it shuts me down.  This machine can with Windows 8 and I took it back and asked them to put on Windows 7.  Now, I am being told to update to 11.  Not sure if I want to do that either.  So many questions I always have.  Sorry about that.  Thank you all for your help.  Each and everyone on this site have all been such a big help to me.  I tell everyone to come here.  I am sure some have and others will.  Once again thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Stay safe after Windows XP support ends article here information purposes only and please disregard any product or service that may be offered at the link.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I do have one more thing to ask of you if you don't mind. I have roadrunner on IE and I would love to get off IE and put firefox on there. Could you please explain to me how I do that? As for the Dell, I will XP on it for now. Later I may have Windows 7 put on it for the kids. I do thank all who have helped with this matter. If I cannot put firefox on where IE was then I believe this is closed. Thank you.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Philpower, you may close this if you wish and I do thank you for your help.  I am not going to use IE anymore for it really is sorry.  Thank you for your help and your advice.  God bless

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the update Sharon Lee  :thumbsup:

No need for any apologies and you are most welcome   :)

Tech topics are not normally closed btw but if you feel that assistance is no longer required let us know and the thread can be marked as resolved.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

I called and it would be around one hundred dollars to get the XP off and have Windows 7 put on.  So I will talk it over with my husband a and we may just have to go that way.  Yes, the issue is finished.   I shall tell you thank you to one and all.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Windows 7 is about $97 to purchase so that is a fair price  :)

BTW I am a Brit and so do not celebrate Thanksgiving but from across the pond and me in particular Happy Thanksgiving to one and all  :thumbsup:

TheShadowFL

TheShadowFL

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

There is nothing wrong with XP that a good package of Security Software can't take care of.

XP-Pro-SP3 has been my main OS for many years now and will continue to be for as long as I can draw a breath.

Keep it clean with regular maintenance and keep it safe with a good Security Package.

NO ONE program will keep any computer completely SAFE.

My own preferred Security Package Is:

AVG 2015 FREE

Spybot Search & Destroy

Spyware Blaster

Malware Bytes (free)

Super Anti-spyware (free)

Then don't forget to make full backups of your C: drive, OFTEN.  I backup my own PC once a week.

Cheers mates, and Happy Holidays!

The Shadow :geek:

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Hello Shadow,  First let me thank you for your advice.  I could do what you have put down here and see how it goes.  I so wish I could understand computers much better.   Windows 7 is about as far as I will go with a machine.  Gets too complicated for me to understand and I have to ask too many questions now.  I will still have my Windows 7 disk so there really is no hurry to take XP off.  The man will be able to use it to put 7 on anytime.  So thank you so much.  We shall go for it.  I like you think XP is the best they have had. 

Advertisements