Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I cannot install 3 updates and 4 drivers.

windows xp

• Please log in to reply

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Windows XP

I get a pop up that the 3 microsoft security .NET framework 2.0 SP2  install updates fail after I run the installation.

Also, 4 drivers will not install.

I was running SlimCleaner and ran cleaner and optimizer and then duplicate files. It was right after that that these

programs would not work.

I did System Restore with a date of November 1 and that does not work either.

Everything else is fine it seems.

I think I screwed up when I was using SlimCleaner. I really am not sure.

Any ideas of what I ought to do?

Advertisements

Joe-King

Joe-King

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

I had a problem with updates awhile back and i went to http://windows.micro...s#1TC=windows-7 It worked for me, Hope it works for you as well. Joe

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts

Hi itsmesunny,

Do you get an error message when trying Windows update or does it just say failed?

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

It just reads - FAILED.

i am going to try what Joe recommended.

Also, when shut down it comes up that the updates are being installed - the 3 of them - and then it shuts down AND when I

start up again the Automatic Update windown pops up and asks which way I want to install them - Express or Custom.

Should I try Customa and see what happens?

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I'll give it a shot Joe.

thanks!

I had a problem with updates awhile back and i went to http://windows.micro...s#1TC=windows-7 It worked for me, Hope it works for you as well. Joe

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Thanks Joe but it did not work.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I get the same message after it tries to install the 3 updates:

Some updates could not be installed.

The following updates were not installed:

Security Update for Microsoft >NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Serve 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2789643)

Security Update for Microsoft >NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Serve 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2604092)

Security Update for Microsoft >NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Serve 2003 and Windows XP x86 (KB2742596)

I also restarted - not shutdown - and they did not try to install.

Since support is done for this OS what do I do? - REinstall the 2.0 Service Pack from ? - Softonic - ?

Edited by itsmesunny, 15 November 2014 - 11:51 AM.

Joe-King

Joe-King

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Hi again itsmesunny

Do you have 'Silverlight' on your computer?

If you do,

You may try removing Silverlight,

Then try to update.

You can just add Silverlight back after the update is installed. Im not 100% sure this will work but i have just read a few posts where people had problems with updates if Silverlight was installed.

Personally i have deleted Silverlight and there is not any difference without it.

But others say to use it so i downloaded it again without any problems. I will continue to look for other options until i hear back from you. Good Luck!

I am not trying to steal your show ZEUS_GB just trying to help. : )

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Ok Joe - I'll it a shot now.

I appreciate your help.  :yeah:

No Go Joe! :no:

Edited by itsmesunny, 16 November 2014 - 03:51 PM.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Ok - Here is what I did. I went to the Microsoft site and punched in the 3 updates that are missing and installed them.

"Fatal error during installation"

I copied the result of each in the log file. I can copy and paste them here. They are long.

I don't know if it will help but I can post them here if necessary.

But could someone please tell me if this helps or not. Thanks.

Edited by itsmesunny, 16 November 2014 - 05:19 PM.

Advertisements

Joe-King

Joe-King

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

http://support2.micr...are_prevention/ Have you tried this yet?

Do you have Full Control permissions? administrator rights...

Edited by Joe-King, 16 November 2014 - 05:50 PM.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

I don't know.

I am the administrator but someone gave me this computer and I have been using it.

Where do I find that info?

Ok. I went to Control Panel then User Accounts. There are 2 accounts. The other one is not used. I am the Computer Administrator

with full control.

I also ran malwarebytes again. There were 53 items that came up. I then shut down and when I started up once more, nothing had changed.

In Control Panel - clicking on Add or Remove - showing the updates,  2 of them - KB2789643 and KB2742596 - are there - ?

Edited by itsmesunny, 17 November 2014 - 11:56 AM.

Joe-King

Joe-King

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Hello itsmesunny.

Sorry yesterday we got some ice and snow and i had to take my wife to work 45minutes away cause her car wouldn't make it out of the driveway...Lol

Ok i thought about this problem last night,

I think i was going about it all wrong.

How about we work on your 4 Drivers first and then we can get your windows to update.

Step 1: Determine whether the device driver is found in Device Manager
  1. Click Start
    vistastartbutton.jpg
    , type Device Manager in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
  2. Click Continue. The Device Manager dialog box is displayed.

securityshield.jpg
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
  3. In the list of device types, click the type of device, and then locate the specific device that is not functioning.
    • If an exclamation point appears next to the name of the device that is not functioning, Device Manager cannot find the device driver. Go to step 3, "Use Windows Update to find a device driver."
    • If no exclamation point appears next to the name of the device that is not functioning correctly, go to step 2, "Uninstall and reinstall the device drivers."
  4. Close Device Manager.
Step 2: Uninstall and reinstall the device drivers

If no exclamation point appears next to the name of the device and the device does not function correctly, manually uninstall and reinstall the device drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start
    vistastartbutton.jpg
    , type Device Manager in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
  2. Click Continue. The Device Manager dialog box is displayed.

securityshield.jpg
    If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
  3. In the list of device types, click the kind of device, and then locate the specific device that is not functioning.
  4. Right-click the device, and then click Properties.
  5. Click the Driver tab.
  6. Click Uninstall.
  7. Click OK.
  8. In the Device Manager dialog box, click the Action menu, and then click Scan for hardware changes.
    • You may receive a message that states that Windows has to install driver software for your unknown device. If you receive this message, click Locate and install driver software (recommended).
    • You may also receive a message that states that a hardware device is being installed and that the uninstalled device is now present in Device Manager.
    Note If you do not receive either message or the hardware device is not installed, go to step 3, "Use Windows Update to find a device driver."

If the device is installed correctly and functions correctly, you have resolved the problem and you are finished. If the device is installed but still does not seem to be functioning correctly, go to the "Next steps" section.

Step 3: Use Windows Update to find a device driver

Note To use Windows Update, you must be logged on to the computer as an administrator. To verify that you are logged on to Windows with a user account that is a computer administrator, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

Follow these steps to use Windows Update to scan for a device driver:

1. Click Start
    vistastartbutton.jpg
    , click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

securityshield.jpg
  2. Click Check for updates.
  3. To determine whether updated drivers are available, click View available updates.

If updates are available, click the driver that you want to install, and then click Install.

securityshield.jpg

If Windows Update is unable to locate the required device driver, contact the device manufacturer to download the latest device driver for Windows Vista. For information about how to do this, see the "More Information" section.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

No problem Joe. I appreciate the help.

So, I did type it in and there is none. Hmm ... imagine that. :upset:

The search window looks different too.

Just so you know. I have always used Macs. This PC thing is more trouble than it is worth BUT I

want to figure it out. Someone gave this old Dell to me.

And it seems the driver thing could also be figured out at the Dell support  thing on here.

Edited by itsmesunny, 18 November 2014 - 12:57 PM.

itsmesunny

itsmesunny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

There was no device manager to be found going the path you wrote above.

I could only find Device Manager with Control Panel. So I followed the prompts (?) going that way. And this is what happened.

The 3 are in yellow. So, I clicked on all of them

The first 2 - PCI Simple Communications Controller and Video controller - (after I click on them) cannot be installed because DM cannot find the software.

The 3rd Multimedia Audio Controller brings up RealTek AC'97 Audio which starts working until - "The file ALCXWDM.SYS on RealtedAC97 Audio Driver

Disk is needed.

Type the path where the file is located and then click OK.

There are 3 choices and none work.

That is as far as I can go.

Edited by itsmesunny, 18 November 2014 - 03:42 PM.